any one from dublin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any one from dublin

thinking about taking the missus to dublin for a long wkend,any one know any good places to stay and places to visit.
    www.overfab.uk

Originally posted by vatchman
    thinking about taking the missus to dublin for a long wkend,any one know any good places to stay and places to visit.
    Lovely lovely lovely place!! We went out in Feb to see Delboy and co! Cant help re places to stay in Dublin as we stayed in the Curragh.

Look up the Irish brigade whilst you're there - they are all nice chaps!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman

Guiness Brewery and Jamesons Distillery, Temple Bar area, Burlington Hotel is a bit bizzare but a good place to stay. Wherever you decide to go take plenty of money, It's probably the most expensive city in the world!!

Comment

i stayed at raddisson SAS, st helens, stillorgan

it's a bit out of town but the ideal place to take the missus... anything you want, just pick up the phone!...

there's a bus stop right outside (but the irish bus drivers are the most miserable gits!)... taxi drivers were ok though.

i thought dublin was one of the roughest places i'd ever been... black lights in the pub toilets to stop people jacking up in there, and a few streets out of town and you'd think you were in a pikey version of beirut!

http://dublin.radissonsas.com/
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Depends on what you're looking for in a weekend.
          As suggested above, Guinness's Brewery and Jameson's Distillery are worth a look, Guinness's being a longer (and probably better) tour than Jameson's. If you do go to Jameson's, when they ask for volunteers near the start of the tour, stick you hand up if you like whiskey, coz they'll have you do a tasting session at the end.
          The Temple Bar area is lively day or night, especially night, but with a growing reputation for containing mainly English hen night parties!
          There are bur tours which will bring you around the city, and as far as the Phoenix Park (2nd largest enclosed park in the world, beaten only by Yellowstone), which counts the official home of the Irish President, herds of deer, and Dublin Zoo among its occupants.
          We also have a selection of museums, I always recommend a least a quick visit to the natural history museum (Merrion St) when the remains of the giant Irish deer await, they're ****** huge!
          Then there are the three National museums,
          Archeology & History at Kildare St (Behind the Natural history museum), next door to Dáil Éireann (the House of Representatives).
          Decorative Arts & History at Collins Barracks (Beside the Phoenix Park) This place is fairly large and you could easily spend several hours here.
          Country Life at Turlough Park (no idea about this one, never been there)

Back into town.... shopping on the south side (where Temple Bar is) tends to be a little higher class than the northside, and a lot more expensive. Grafton Street being the main shopping thoroughfare and well worth a look, check out the Powerscourt townhouse shopping center too for a blend of antiques and modern goods. Moving to the northside, O'Connell St is the main thoroughfare and is the widest street in Europe, its also constantly being dug up and home to our latest wondrous idea (not) the Spire, as as you may have heard it referred to, the spike in the dyke. Look out also for the 'Hags with the Bags' (northside foot of the 'Hapenny Bridge), the 'Tart with the cart' (Molly Malone, foot of Grafton St), The 'Git with the stick' & others, we love renaming our statues , used to have the 'Time in the Slime' and the 'Floozie in the jacuzzi' too, but they're gone now.

That enough to start ya off ???????
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Dont stay in any of the hotels/B&Bs in Gardnier Street or Sherriff Street area. if possible stay on the southside of the river. As with any big city be careful and be aware of your surroundings. My recommendation when going to Ireland is to get out of Dublin and go to a smaller city/town to experinece real Ireland. You could try Cork or Galway for exapmple. Dublins streets are now the same as the generic Uk high streets, dixons, next, carphone whorehouse etc etc. if you do go to Dublin a nice afternoon is to jump onthe DART ( city trains) and go out to Howath head for the afternoon, very nice and good places to eat/drink. Also if you get a chance go to see an Irish Gaelic football match or Hurling game. When i took 19 of my work colleague over a few years ago the biggest complaint from them when they went out in temple bar was that they only peole they met were fellow English!

Enjoy where ever you go.

Comment

ok cheers guys thanks for the advice.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
              X