Need info on converting to a rear swinging tire carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on converting to a rear swinging tire carrier

I'm from Chico, CA, USA and I want to convert my 3rd gen 1998 4Runner to a Hilux Surf spec rear tire carrier. I posted a wanted ad here. Has anyone here done the swap? If so any info would help. Thanks.

I don't think anyone on here has done the swap on a 3rd Gen yet. The 2nd has been done, but its not straightforward. Apart from sourcing the carrier, you also need the reciever and other parts for the tailgate, also on the 2nd Gens (don't know if 3rd is the same) the pillar carrying the carrier is strengthened in the factory. It is not designed to be retrofitted, so some fabrication of reinforcements will be required.
    Also, don't forget, by using an original japanese one, it will swing the wrong way for you, ie to the nearside.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I would think an easier conversion would be to see if they do a Kaymar rear bumper with the swing out tyre mounting post on it. Finding the parts will be difficult for the 3rd gen as not so many Japanese ones have hit the breakers yet and Toyota will snap off your Arm, leg, and your children for the price of one.

Cheers

Comment

Dont think this will be an easy job, the rear body panel is pre-formed to accept the tyre carrier. Not a job I would ever want to do!

Rgds

Ant
        1996 SSR-G 3.0 TD Intercooler
        Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

No luck with Kaymar either...

only got one for a 4Runner 90+
          http://www.kaymar.net/toyota/4runnerendproducts.htm

Although for the 2nd Gen's it does look rather nice... matches the original... just with the extra bits...

They only appear to do a single tyre carrier for the 4runner (dual for the landcruiser), and/or jerry can holder... plus hi-lift, antenna's, etc...

Eddie, @ Frog's Island, mentioned some cheaper Kaymar impersonators, that had pivots on both sides... (A-mar? or something like that)
          Last edited by AndyLala; 30 August 2005, 13:00.

Comment

Eddie might be a good source of info on what is available for the 3rd Gen. You may find that the 90+ one for the 4 runner fits the 3rd gen as well , not sure of the width and the mounting - I know that the 3rd gen rear bumper looks a little different than the 2nd gen but it might not be all that different,

Comment

The Kaymar bar for the second generation will not fit the third generation.Different chassis.The Kaymar bar is a combination of rear bar/tow bar and wheel carrier.I've got one that I'm doing up at the moment and they only swing from the left.

Maybe someone here can help. - http://www.toyota-4runner.org/

Neville

Comment

Working...
              X