Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bent front axle and damaged ball joints

hey all,
    Just for your interest (?) I had a near-wreck, but luckily ended up just running over something veryvery hard off a secondary highway (80km/h) and getting air ... (8m paced...) in the hilux pickup 4x. I even drove (well, limped) into town. Seems I'll need to replace the whole front end ... (I guess that is axle and balljoints?).. but I may as well do the springs well I'm at it.. they were saggy anyway...

:-( how am I going to afford this going back to school idea?

Hope all are well, and drive safely!

Keegs

sounds expensive but i love the flying bit dont you??
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Comment

Originally posted by mrkeeg
      hey all,
      Just for your interest (?) I had a near-wreck, but luckily ended up just running over something veryvery hard off a secondary highway (80km/h) and getting air ... (8m paced...) in the hilux pickup 4x. I even drove (well, limped) into town. Seems I'll need to replace the whole front end ... (I guess that is axle and balljoints?).. but I may as well do the springs well I'm at it.. they were saggy anyway...

:-( how am I going to afford this going back to school idea?

Hope all are well, and drive safely!

Keegs
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

We like to see other peoples trail damage. It makes us feel better ( like we are not the only idiots in the world).
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

If there is comfort in it, well, yes, we are not alone in this world as idiots. I'll post a few pics... doesn't look that spectacular though... (may have while I was flying...)

kj

Comment

Well this weekend I'll finally be getting back home and I'll take some pics of the damage.

BTW.... I said I had damaged my "ball joints" ... I think that is incorrect.. if I recall from my other truck, ball joints are small (say 2") and paired on each side.

At each end of the axle is a large (say6-8") ball/knuckle that anchors into another unit (part of the hub?) it is this unit that is damaged. Can anyone tell me what it is called?

Keegan

Comment

Its the Birf knuckle housing, or steering knuckle housing.

The Birfield CV Joint lives inside.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X