adjusted torsion bars at last..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adjusted torsion bars at last..

Have tried and failed a couple of times in last 6-9 months to adjust front torsion bars, to raise front a bit after getting +1.5 rear springs. and also free wheel hubs.

but every time i tried to turn the bolt found the wedge peice turned with bolt as seized onto it.
    So a couple months bought new torsion bar adjuster bolts from roughtrax,
    and finally today did the job.
    Took a big breaker bar and a large 22mm spanner on top nut and about 20-25 mins per side to undo the b^ggers, took a lot of force.
    Then managed to get the wedge thing off,
    Put new bolts on no problem - and boy was it easy to wind the things back on!! - now i see why people said its an easy job - it is if you have new bolts! or ones that havent seized up.

front now rides a bit higher, and left side now same height as right.

but found top bump stop got in way, so couldnt raise as high as i wanted..
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Originally posted by andycook
    Have tried and failed a couple of times in last 6-9 months to adjust front torsion bars, to raise front a bit after getting +1.5 rear springs. and also free wheel hubs.

but every time i tried to turn the bolt found the wedge peice turned with bolt as seized onto it.
    So a couple months bought new torsion bar adjuster bolts from roughtrax,
    and finally today did the job.
    Took a big breaker bar and a large 22mm spanner on top nut and about 20-25 mins per side to undo the b^ggers, took a lot of force.
    Then managed to get the wedge thing off,
    Put new bolts on no problem - and boy was it easy to wind the things back on!! - now i see why people said its an easy job - it is if you have new bolts! or ones that havent seized up.

front now rides a bit higher, and left side now same height as right.

but found top bump stop got in way, so couldnt raise as high as i wanted..
    Well done mate. I put my bigger springs on 12 months or more ago and haven't got round to winsing up the torsion bars. I'm still riding around hot rod style.
    As for the bump stops, apparantly you take a hacksaw to the buggers and cut them in half!!!!!
    I'm inspired to have a go.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

ahh thats a good idea - cut the bumpstops - think I remeber Tony saying that on here. wil give that a go.

I had a spanner on top nut, with a strap hooked around it and around a cross-member to keep the spanner in place whilst i unwound the lower bolt, as it was too diffiuclt to hold spanner and haul on breaker bar at same time!!

I would recommend getting new bolts though before starting job!, i thought the originals were going to snap!, with the effort required to undo them.
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
      X