Auto Gearbox Oil Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Gearbox Oil Level

Can someone shed some light as to where the level should be on the dipstick?? I checked it today and it was well over the "cold" mark on the dip stick ( checked cold). So I drained some off, to just below the "hot" mark on the dipstick. As the cold mark is lower than the hot mark you would think that as I drained it to just below the "hot" mark when it was cold, then in theory when it's "hot" it should be over the "hot" mark. I then took her out for a run to heat it up and then checked it again. The oil now comes in between the "cold" and "hot" marks. I don't understand this??

Logic would say that when the oil heats up and is being thrown about, that the level would be LOWER when it's hot. But on the dipstick, the hot level is higher than the cold.

Where is the best place to have the level when cold???

Thanks

As far as I know, the level should always be halfway between the two marks. That's what I do anyway.

Comment

Thanks mate. The only one to reply. I feel so un-loved!!

Comment

Are you checking the level with the truck warmed up and the engine running? Then the level should be up to the hot mark.

I made that mistake too!
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Dont forget you need to work the gearbox lever so that the oil is located throughout the box before taking the reading..
          Gaz

Comment

Cold level is less accurate to check, its recommended you check it hot,, bang on the hot mark is what your aiming at, but a little either side won't hurt.

When the motor is warm, cycle it through all the gears, then in park with the motor still running check the level.

Its not like the engine oil, that you need to let settle, the level is accurate when the engine is running, and the oil is everywhere its supposed to be and at running temp.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Cold level is less accurate to check, its recommended you check it hot,, bang on the hot mark is what your aiming at, but a little either side won't hurt.

When the motor is warm, cycle it through all the gears, then in park with the motor still running check the level.

Its not like the engine oil, that you need to let settle, the level is accurate when the engine is running, and the oil is everywhere its supposed to be and at running temp.

Cheers Mate.

Comment

Working...
              X