RED or BLUE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RED or BLUE

I have just changed the anti-freeze in my truck to Comma Ethy Glycol "BLUE" anti-freeze. It states in the engine manual to use a good quality Ethy Glycol anti-freeze, which I have done. BUT, every Surf I have ever took the rad cap off has "RED" anti-freeze in it.

Which do I use? I know the "RED" is specially for Ally engines, but the engine manual says use "Ethy Glycol" which is the "Blue" that I put in??????????????

Please help??

I've been using 'blue' for the past two years, no worries!

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
      I have just changed the anti-freeze in my truck to Comma Ethy Glycol "BLUE" anti-freeze. It states in the engine manual to use a good quality Ethy Glycol anti-freeze, which I have done. BUT, every Surf I have ever took the rad cap off has "RED" anti-freeze in it.

Which do I use? I know the "RED" is specially for Ally engines, but the engine manual says use "Ethy Glycol" which is the "Blue" that I put in??????????????

Please help??
      god - for a minute when I saw the title I thought this is do I cut the red or blue?
      Red no Blue erm ....er....um...BANG
      Tony
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
        god - for a minute when I saw the title I thought this is do I cut the red or blue?
        Red no Blue erm ....er....um...BANG
        Tony

Ha,Ha,Ha, I can see where your coming from there! But which do you use??? Red or Blue???

Comment

Always cut the RED wire. those bomb makers can be sneaky bu66ers.

Comment

Ha,Ha,Ha, I can see where your coming from there! But which do you use??? Red or Blue???
            Mine had nice brown when i bought it and blue/green ever since, some Castrol stuff I think.

Cleaned my expansion bottle out the other week when i flushed and it was full of clay and took me 30mins or so to shake out!!!
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Water at the moment, have coolant but havnt looked at the colour and will put it in when doing my first oil change after the rebuild, wanted to ensure that I was leak free, I have also put a small amount of floc central heating cleaner in ( it works by putting everything in susspention so that it will flush cleanly and neutralise any flux or acid residues left in the rebuilt and modified rad
              Tony

ps you only get clay in the tank if you insist in bathing your truck in
              MUD
              you sure that aint rust???
              Tony

Comment

red or black
                mine a luminesent yellow from unipart
                if that helps
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

I think that in the Matrix he took the RED one and that lead to all sorts of problems. Perhaps BLUE is best.
                  Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Water at the moment, have coolant but havnt looked at the colour and will put it in when doing my first oil change after the rebuild, wanted to ensure that I was leak free, I have also put a small amount of floc central heating cleaner in ( it works by putting everything in susspention so that it will flush cleanly and neutralise any flux or acid residues left in the rebuilt and modified rad
                    Tony

ps you only get clay in the tank if you insist in bathing your truck in
                    MUD
                    you sure that aint rust???
                    was like it since i bought the truck but I cant say for certain it wasnt me
                    coolant was horrible rusty colour anyway, its been changed a couple of times since.
                    Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                      was like it since i bought the truck but I cant say for certain it wasnt me
                      coolant was horrible rusty colour anyway, its been changed a couple of times since.
                      DD
                      if you want details of the heating stuf let me know
                      Tony
                      Tony

Comment

DD
                        if you want details of the heating stuf let me know
                        Tony
                        cheers mate - only just done it and i got it running clear as
                        but might give it a bash next time, coolant is expensive.
                        Tim

Comment

You'll find new components expensive if you use central heating cleaner. Its ok in a new system but will totally b****r things if they have any corrosion on them.

Comment

Has anyone bought a new RAD from Milner?? They are £165 (I think). These can't be the genuine item as I asked how much they would be from Toyota and they said £300+.

Comment

Please help??
                              If thats what the manual says.......

Genuine Toyota 'For Life' coolant is usually Red, but you can get a blue version as well, but its still recommended to change every 36,000miles or 3 years, if called 'for life' cos it'll stop corrosion if you keep using it. Use a Good Ethy Glycol coolant with corrision inhibitors and that'll work just as good.

The ForLife stuff goes a orange/browny colour when it gets old.
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X