2nd - v - 3rd Gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd - v - 3rd Gen

Im thinking about buying a replacement surf, and was wondering how much of an improvement the 3rd Gen actually is over the 2nd Gen. Can anyone please explain/quantify this ?

If I were to buy a 2nd Gen, and there are loads about, the 3.0td ssrg model is the one which appeals most due to the goodies. I have noticed some have plastic bumpers and some have chrome, was there a facelift of the 2nd Gen surf around 1994 ?

Dave
    Last edited by Briles; 24 August 2005, 08:32.

can just say, how heart warming it is that after the grief briles had with the last one, he's straight out looking for another. fair play that man, fair play.
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
      can just say, how heart warming it is that after the grief briles had with the last one, he's straight out looking for another. fair play that man, fair play.
      Thanks for that Chillitt. I actually loved my 4Runner, just the bleeding cylinder head. So practical and nice to drive, but I must admit I'm not certain just yet that it will be a Surf. I also like the thought of a 'cough' 'grunt' Delica, 'splutter', which would be equally practical, same mpg and even bigger with more seats, not that the family is that big.

Thanks for the great links Maurice, most of the info required was in there, but not the bit 'bout the chrome/plastic bumpers on the 2nd gen.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Briles
        Thanks for the great links Maurice, most of the info required was in there, but not the bit 'bout the chrome/plastic bumpers on the 2nd gen.

Dave.
        Firstly, those plastic lookin bumpers are in fact painted steel.

The UK 4Runners all have painted bumpers.
        AFAIK 2nd Gen Surfs have painted bumpers as standard, however as with many other options, chrome bumpers appear to have been specified from new by the majority of owners. Its actually uncommon to see a surf with painted bumpers, particularly in later years. That is at least until you reach the 3rd Gen, at which point the chrome bumpers become a rareity... except on US 4Runners where they are partial to them.

Not very straightforward I know, but we've found that its kinda hard to be specific when it comes to the Surfs specifications, as so many various options were offered, and taken when the vehicles were new.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

quote; I also like the thought of a 'cough' 'grunt' Delica, 'splutter', which would be equally practical, same mpg and even bigger with more seats, not that the family is that big.
          gone right off im now....
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
            quote; I also like the thought of a 'cough' 'grunt' Delica, 'splutter', which would be equally practical, same mpg and even bigger with more seats, not that the family is that big.
            gone right off im now....
            Knew that would probably upset the masses. Will know by weekend what I'm gonna drive.

Comment

First gen's bestest anyway
              www.thegamingunion.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X