Veg Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veg Oil

Potentialy stupid Question here I'm afraid.
    Can I just drop veg oil straight into my fuel tank without any problems*?

I can see the thread about the conversion kits, but I'm also sure that I read that the surf can run of Veg oil without any mods.

*Bearing in mind I know how many sarcastic people there are on here I fully expect replies telling me that if I use a funel I should be able to get the oil in without a problem, or that getting the oil in is not a problem but trying to push the thing home and then get the oil out again is a bit tricky.
    Also, I'm considering changing my Flux Capicitor to use cheaper electrical solder, will this cause any problems?

My understanding is that a diesel motor will run on veg oil as long as the engine is hot.
    This means that diesel is required for starting and running upto temperature.
    Biodiesel has enough ethanol in it to allow cold starting and can be mixed with normal diesel.
    Biodiesel should not adversely affect the engine but may cause older petrochemical seals to dry out. However a blend stops this.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...

http://www.biodiesel.co.uk/

WARNING - using cheaper solder on the Flux Capacitor can result in a buildup of excess electrons. This extra weight might cause the mountings to shear.
    Last edited by Bear Ona Bike; 16 August 2005, 15:50.
    Fear of death is the beginning of slavery

Comment

So, does that mean if I mix 50% veg oil and 50% diesal I shouldn't have any problems.

Except for various forms to fill in and the smell of a chip shop following me round.

Comment

If you have a search, you'll find this has been covered time & again.
        The main (original) thread is here and contains answers to most questions you are likely to have.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
          If you have a search, you'll find this has been covered time & again.
          The main (original) thread is here and contains answers to most questions you are likely to have.
          i feel let down that you haven't used the animation on this occasion!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

the simple answer is:

1. open fuel cap

2. pour in veg oil (up to 50% in summer)

3. close fuel cap

4. drive

5. pay the duty to Customs

sorted - there ya go
            Dave

Comment

i have used up to 75% veg mix , it`s a bit lumpy at first(idle up)then ok, Mrs ssray thinks it runs smoother, 2 tank conversion coming up though, diy will post when ready, also if you loop return to IP if you get air in the system it will not get purged out.

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                i feel let down that you haven't used the animation on this occasion!
                DaBigman, Matt the Slug, Bob, just for you....

Last edited by Morr; 17 August 2005, 09:50.
                Maurice

Comment

svo

[QUOTE=Rob_88]Potentialy stupid Question here I'm afraid.
                  Can I just drop veg oil straight into my fuel tank without any problems*?

I can see the thread about the conversion kits, but I'm also sure that I read that the surf can run of Veg oil without any mods.

---
                  I am confused on this issue. Many of you are saying 'no probs...run on a mixture' yet I spoke to a guy today who sells pure veg oil and he warned against using in the tank without proper modifications - it can dissove rubber fuel lines and wreck injectors.

I'd love to have the answer - there's too many conflicting views floating about.

Comment

For what its worth

Have been running on 100% veg oil for most of the time for last 4 months. No clatering when starting etc and within 7-8 mins the Unit i have on starts to heat veg oil. I will shortly have same problem as everyone else, about what to do in colder weather. Two tanks or less veg oil. Will need to make mind up soon, although looking at diesel prices its a forgon conclusion.
                    Rgds Philip
                    Still Searching,
                    Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by hughh
                      I am confused on this issue. Many of you are saying 'no probs...run on a mixture' yet I spoke to a guy today who sells pure veg oil and he warned against using in the tank without proper modifications - it can dissove rubber fuel lines and wreck injectors.

I'd love to have the answer - there's too many conflicting views floating about.
                      Once again, have a read of the main thread here and find your questions answered.

Nothing like actually doing a bit of research to educate yourself.
                      Maurice

Comment

or you could ask the question again...

seriously, Morr's right. but in short, check your pump is ok to take veg oil and if so - go for it. just remember the colder it gets - the less you use.
                        Dave

Comment

research....boll***s

Originally posted by Draig
                          or you could ask the question again...

seriously, Morr's right. but in short, check your pump is ok to take veg oil and if so - go for it. just remember the colder it gets - the less you use.

I know it sounds like a fair proposition from all the postings out there but has anyone been using svo or a high proportion mix over a long period? If there is any potential damage, as previously mentioned, would it be a big repair job? Maybe Mr Educated himself, Morr knows the answer.

If you haven't anything positive to say then STFU.

Comment

Originally posted by hughh
                            ......If you haven't anything positive to say then STFU.

Thank-you for bringing such a warm attitude with you as you join our community, you have surely guaranteed that all will rush to help and spoon feed you with any information you could possibly require.
                            Once more may I say welcome, and hope you enjoy your stay.
                            Maurice

Comment

a man of amny words!

Originally posted by Morr
                              Thank-you for bringing such a warm attitude with you as you join our community, you have surely guaranteed that all will rush to help and spoon feed you with any information you could possibly require.
                              Once more may I say welcome, and hope you enjoy your stay.
                              I knew you'd bite on that one...you did ask for it.

I expect the good souls here will be of great help as they always are.

Hugh

Comment

Working...
                              X