Scrunching noise! FYI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrunching noise! FYI

After returning from the Maasia Mara, there was a suspicious scrunching noise coming from the front of the truck. We diagnosed this as the front wheel bearings and I took it around to Alpha Motors here in Nairobi to order the parts. "We have the bearings but, sorry, no oil seals. We have to order those from Japan and they'll take four weeks." Oh, poo!

Over the internet I ordered some from Rough Trax, Toyota 4runner, KZN130, front wheel oil seals, FA001 (4 as I thought I'd get a couple spare) they arrived with a friend in the UK the next day and within 10 days I had them in my greasy mits, but...they were the wrong ones. 1994, Toyota 4Runner, KZN130 owners be warned!

Toyota seals are metal outer/rubber inner these were all rubber - not a big problem I thought but when we compared them to the original seals they had the wrong inner diameter - too small. OK so we hunted around and found the right ones, (There was also a problem with the OE seals. Originally we tried pn: 90311-62001 but they were correct outer, but wrong inner, diameter. The correct seal was pn: 90311-66003.), fitted them and then went out for a spin...he familiar old crunching/rattling noise filled my ears!

Back to the workshop, up on a lift and we set the wheels in motion (4WD) and listened and poked and then listened some more. After wobbling a few bits we found the OSF bearing, where the stub axle enters the diff, was loose (very technically sussed as I compared it to the other and that wasn't!). Couldn't blame it on a little "play" in the bearing as the whole thing was shifting around quite alarmingly. So, looks like I'm going to have to have a look at the front diff. Bit of a bigger job, maybe 8 hours labour plus parts. So now I've got to start saving my pennies again!

Inner bearing 90368-49084, Kenyan shillings 720
    Outer bearing 90368-45087, Kenyan shillings 1280
    Oil seal 90311-66003, Kenyan shillings 640

(Check XE.com for the exchange rates)
    Last edited by bundubasher; 15 August 2005, 14:28. Reason: text edit
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Originally posted by bundubasher
    Inner bearing 90368-49084, Kenyan shillings 720
    Outer bearing 90368-45087, Kenyan shillings 1280
    Oil seal 90311-66003, Kenyan shillings 640

(Check XE.com for the exchange rates)
    easy... isn't a 5p the same as a shilling?... or do we have to multiply by an odd number to get it in metric first??
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Watch it slug man (que?), convert like that and you'd lose out big time!

1GBP: 135 Ksh

My wife is sponsoring my truck at the mo. and she can be as tight as a duck's arse when it comes to spending on my "second wife"! She's also pregnant with our second kid and you know what sort of emotional tight rope some ladies can walk at this time! So I have to tread very carefully and keep saying things like "it'll be more comfortable (like hell it will)" & "it'll be safer for the baby" but what I'm actually worried about is the bearing seizing and us having to be towed back from the Mara by our friend's cruiser and he drives more like a spaced-out matatu driver than a normal adult!
      @africa4x4cafe

Comment

there have been a few posts on here in last few months about this diff-axle flange thingy on UK drivers side,
        it seems the general consensus is the flange has a lot vertical movement on most peoples trucks, so not a major concern.
        I was worried about it, and thought it caused shaking, i fitted manual locking hubs, and truck still shakes - so it wasnt the diff flange
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

Thanks for the info. My worry is the noise! Anything between 20kmh and 70 kmh I get this god awful rattling sound at a lower frequency. Sounds like something on the wheel is loose/rattling/rubbing and after changing the wheel bearings all I could now see was this loose flangy thing on the drivers side. I've had it up on a lift and everything so we thought the noise was coming from inside the diff. ie the flangy things bearing.

Without finding anything else I'm still going to open it up to check...thanks anyway!
          @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Working...
          X