New Surf...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Surf...

After much research, I have commenced writing a letter to Toyota Australia. What's this letter about you ask. Well, It's about the Hilux. The Hilux Vigo is a well built 4WD, am I or am I not correct? Problem is, the new Japanese Surf, is not. The new Surf, is not only very "soft-roader" looking, but it has the same front as the RAV 4, and there is limited space in the boot, as opposed to the older 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen's.

So I've written a letter addressed to Toyota Australia about this issue, and as soon as I make sure I've covered all the important features, I am going to post it.

Who knows, perhaps in the future people will want to import Surf's from Australia, instead of Japan...

The new design will incorporate the frontal styling of the Vigo pickup, and the rear styling of the older surf's, namely that of the 2nd gen.

As the Vigo is solely a commercial car, the Surf is more of a recreational vehicle. This means better features/options will be such as climate control air conditioning, powered antenna, sunroof, etc.

This is just a sneak peek, and I will be giving more information when I feel the public should hear it.

Leave a post, stating whether or not this is a good idea, and whether or not you would consider the purchase of one.

So.. We shall see.
    Will update this as updates come.

Below is a basic idea of what it would look like thought the finished model would look somewhat different (and excuse the lack of colour matching!).
    Last edited by Un_discovered; 12 August 2005, 12:57.

Dont like the styling at the rear end - looks too much like a Honda HRV!
    angle too sharp at top, clashes with contouring at base
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

definately the rear end lets it down it's b****y horrible
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

It is only a rough picture, the angles, etc dont match, i know, but its to get the basic idea of what the Vigo pickup would look like as a wagon.. it'll have the same rear end as the 2nd gen, so it wont look as bad as the picture does.

Comment

add a spare tyre to the back and roof rails as standard would be a good idea.
          I think it could do with bigger wheels also, but I can see it could look nice, the 2nd gen is by far the best one to base it on also, hope it has the second gen drop down boot, but try to sort out the window mechanism!

Comment

Looks like a pansy car. Don't like it the looks at all.

Comment

Ok. Let me explain that its not what the final production will look like. The tyres/wheels will be better than the ones used on the pickup, and the picture isnt the best because it began as a lower grade model. And of course, it is possible to fit aftermarket accessories, such as roof bars, bull bars, rear wheel carrier etc. The bonnet scoop on the wagon model should look more aggressive than the one on the pickup. Again, to make sure that it is read this time,
              THE PICTURE DOES NOT REPRESENT THE FINAL PRODUCT.
              The picture is based on a low model grade, therefore it does not seem very attractive.
              But in no way is it a "pansy car".
              It is more functional and capable than the original Surf's, and certainly much more capable than the new Japanese Surf's, as they are more like soft-roaders.

More to come...

Comment

Originally posted by Un_discovered
                Ok. Let me explain that its not what the final production will look like. The tyres/wheels will be better than the ones used on the pickup, and the picture isnt the best because it began as a lower grade model. And of course, it is possible to fit aftermarket accessories, such as roof bars, bull bars, rear wheel carrier etc. The bonnet scoop on the wagon model should look more aggressive than the one on the pickup. Again, to make sure that it is read this time,
                THE PICTURE DOES NOT REPRESENT THE FINAL PRODUCT.
                The picture is based on a low model grade, therefore it does not seem very attractive.
                But in no way is it a "pansy car".
                It is more functional and capable than the original Surf's, and certainly much more capable than the new Japanese Surf's, as they are more like soft-roaders.

More to come...

Don't give up your day job mate !

Comment

I know the picture looks bad, but this is what it COULD look like with aftermarkets, etc.

Hope that gives you all some food for thought

More to come soon...

Comment

I see ARB have already produced inconjunction with Toyota Old Man Emu suspension and Winch Bumper
                    Attached Files
                    Gaz

Comment

Sorry to disagree with my fellow Brits but I think it would be a good idea. I can see what you are trying to achieve even if they can't. To put together photos of two different vehicles into a coherent whole is probably difficult enough with professional software, so something done by an amateur ain't that bad.

I agree that the Vigo looks a bit too commercial, although it's better than the current Surf which agree is too RAV 4 ish. A more rugged proper 4*4 to carry on the Surf name has got to be better that the over regulated health & safelty designed offerings that are coming out of Japan these days. Even the bl--dy Sh-g-n is starting to look like a hairdressers car.

The 2nd gen is definitely the best looking and probably the most capable. If it had a decent D4D engine as per the current Land Cruiser but without that vehicle's bulk it would probably be unstopable off road and show up those new LR vehicles (don't you think the new Disco looks like a Ford Connect van on steroids??).
                      Mike G

Comment

Its a good idea...but..(there's always a but)
                        Call me a pureist or dinosaur but it seem to me that that the same desiner is working for most if not all 4x4 manufactures cos they all look the same from the front end,all smooth and soft and lovey.The Hi-lux is and has always been an In-your-face kinda truck,you could tell what is was as soon as you saw it.So yes to all the new engieering advances and saftey stuff but please
                        LEAVE THE SHAPE ALONE

Lets turn back the clock and stay with the 1st & 2nd gen shape.
                        If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                          (don't you think the new Disco looks like a Ford Connect van on steroids??).
                          Hoorah, finally someone agrees with me!!! Spot on mate.
                          Tim
                          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                            Hoorah, finally someone agrees with me!!! Spot on mate.
                            I think
                            'if it aint bust dont fix it' and just as an observation - do you seriously think that someone in the toy factory is going to listen to you? and more inportantly act!
                            we can all have 'pie in the sky ideas'.......if only I won the lottery.........
                            Tony

p.s. don't stop dreaming
                            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                              I think
                              'if it aint bust dont fix it' and just as an observation - do you seriously think that someone in the toy factory is going to listen to you? and more inportantly act!
                              we can all have 'pie in the sky ideas'.......if only I won the lottery.........
                              Tony

p.s. don't stop dreaming

I was referring to his point about the LR Disco.... but i take your point about the factory.
                              If they dont make any good Surfs then perhaps the price of our lot will go up
                              Tim
                              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                              X