Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False economy ?

Brain is mush at the mo...

Would it be false economy to sub my 3.0 l TD for a V6 on LPG ?

Cheers guys.

R.
    Nili secundum desperandum

Flysurfer.

Having had experience with LPG, although they advertise that you save 50% unless you splash out and get a sequential kit which fitted is around £1600, then with basic kit you save app 35% fuel. Depending on miles travelled, it could take 2-3 years to get initial outlay back. Personally i would go down Veg route. For the last 3 months i have been running on 100% veg oil, even to Milan. Veg oil is app 44p a liter plus 27.1p tax so still saving 23-24p a litre.
    For the winter you can use two tank method, starting and stopping on diesel and using veg oil rest of the time. I would by the bits needed seperately as will work out much cheaper than buying kit from suppliers. Thats my opinion anyway.
    You can call me on 0870 7775080 if wanting to discuss further.
    Philip
    Still Searching,
    Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
      Having had experience with LPG, although they advertise that you save 50% unless you splash out and get a sequential kit which fitted is around £1600, then with basic kit you save app 35% fuel. Depending on miles travelled, it could take 2-3 years to get initial outlay back. Personally i would go down Veg route. For the last 3 months i have been running on 100% veg oil, even to Milan. Veg oil is app 44p a liter plus 27.1p tax so still saving 23-24p a litre.
      For the winter you can use two tank method, starting and stopping on diesel and using veg oil rest of the time. I would by the bits needed seperately as will work out much cheaper than buying kit from suppliers. Thats my opinion anyway.
      You can call me on 0870 7775080 if wanting to discuss further.
      Philip

Cheers Phillip.

I'll give you a ring later tonight after the mothercare run if thats ok ?

Regds.

Ron.

Comment

Gas

Hi Ron how did you know l am gasing a "V6" up to sell.????HE HE HE
        Live Life To The Full

Comment

Bob - is that the sexy black one you have had for a bit ?

Comment

There are also a number of companies that make their own biodiesel as well as companies selling modified waste vegetable oil - generally around 80p/L. No modifications to the car needed. Still saving at least 10p/L... probably will turn out to be more at the rate that the oil price is rising. I buy 6 months worth at a time. No hassle just fill up the car from a hand pump in my garage. In fact I probably save another couple of quid every fill up as I am not tempted to buy sweets etc!!

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
              There are also a number of companies that make their own biodiesel as well as companies selling modified waste vegetable oil - generally around 80p/L. No modifications to the car needed. Still saving at least 10p/L... probably will turn out to be more at the rate that the oil price is rising. I buy 6 months worth at a time. No hassle just fill up the car from a hand pump in my garage. In fact I probably save another couple of quid every fill up as I am not tempted to buy sweets etc!!
              Sweets - lol.

I'm currently evaluating whats gonna be best in the long run...i like Veggie idea but its still 70 odd p a iter versus 34 or lpg...only difference is I'll have to swap my known good car for another perhaps not so well proven V6 Hilux.

We shall see !

Comment

I'd choose a 3lt Petrol converted to LPG over a 3lt Diesel on Veg-Oil, the cost of the conversion is slightly more but the savings are greater. LPG is around 40p a litre, but unlike Veg-Oil you don't have to pay any extra duty.

The petrol motor may not be as economical as a diesel but the cost savings on the fuel will more than balance this out.

The petrol is more powerfull, with only a small drop when running on LPG.

The LPG is easier as you just fill up at a petrol station.

Having had a V6 Camry on LPG, I'd prefer my Surf that way, but I bought a diesel as it was all i could find in budget, it also won't depreciate as fast which is a double edged sword.

Comment

There was a discussion on R4 the other day. They weree saying that LPG is going to almost double in price over the next four years, because our North Sea Gas reserves are running out and we are having to import gas.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                    There was a discussion on R4 the other day. They weree saying that LPG is going to almost double in price over the next four years, because our North Sea Gas reserves are running out and we are having to import gas.
                    R4? Radio4? We're talking about LPG, liqud petrolium gas, which is a product of oil refining, not LNG which is from natural gas.

LPG would be wasted if it were not used as a fuel source. Obviously there are costs involved in it's capture, storage and transportation, but the actual product is free, as far as the oil companies are concerned, as it's a by product of oil refining.

It may well increase in price as the cost of oil does, but it's the tax that makes fuel so expensive, in a world where there is ever growing pressure to "Go green" it would take a very brave, and indeed foolish, government to put LPG prices inline with Diesel/petrol.

Comment

I ran a 4.0L Jag on LPG for a couple of years. It was pretty good. I'd only recommend a Sequential Multipoint Injection System (I know naff all about Surfs but the Jag was fine on single point for about 99% of the time but it would occasionally backfire), I'd still pay more for the SMI.
                      In Coventry LPG is 32ppl (In Corby it's 29.9ppl). Diesel is 93.9ppl.
                      I wish I still had the Jag sometimes.
                      It's my belief that LPG is byproduct of petrol manufacturing system, though I could be very wrong.
                      I would definately have LPG again. You have to plan a bit more but it feels great to run a 4.0L Jag for 300 miles for £18

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge
                        R4? Radio4? We're talking about LPG, liqud petrolium gas, which is a product of oil refining, not LNG which is from natural gas.

LPG would be wasted if it were not used as a fuel source. Obviously there are costs involved in it's capture, storage and transportation, but the actual product is free, as far as the oil companies are concerned, as it's a by product of oil refining.
                        I should have read your post first....

Originally posted by Dodge
                        indeed foolish, government
                        .... we're fecked then.

Comment

Originally posted by prozac
                          I should have read your post first....

.... we're fecked then.

Put it this way,

Comment

Don't know if it's just round where I live, but the LPG is actually getting cheaper. In Keighley just recently it's been selling for less than 30p a litre!! I've got a friend who's a qualified fitter and he's getting me a price for a kit, which I'll fit and then he'll sign-off / inspect for her indoor's RAV4.

That said, I've got a 3.0L TD 2nd Gen, which I've converted to a 2 tank Veg oil system. It's now more economical to run than my Peugeot 406 2.0HDI that does between 45 and 50 mpg (it for sale now!!).

If you were to go down the Veg oil route I think that the main consideration is whether or not you've got a viable source of Veg oil - a factor of course will be how much mileage you do. I use about 20 litres of oil a day, the round trip to and from work being about 100 miles.

Rob
                            Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfCub
                              Don't know if it's just round where I live, but the LPG is actually getting cheaper. In Keighley just recently it's been selling for less than 30p a litre!! I've got a friend who's a qualified fitter and he's getting me a price for a kit, which I'll fit and then he'll sign-off / inspect for her indoor's RAV4.

That said, I've got a 3.0L TD 2nd Gen, which I've converted to a 2 tank Veg oil system. It's now more economical to run than my Peugeot 406 2.0HDI that does between 45 and 50 mpg (it for sale now!!).

If you were to go down the Veg oil route I think that the main consideration is whether or not you've got a viable source of Veg oil - a factor of course will be how much mileage you do. I use about 20 litres of oil a day, the round trip to and from work being about 100 miles.

Rob

Good point Rob and all .
                              however, if you did the peugot - that would give you an equivolent of 80 odd mpg.

I got my quote from elsbett for a one tank system and I am just about to do the deal but it keeps occuring to me that I could do this mod to a VW Transporter and get 80 odd mpg equivolent but I woukd have to give up the thing i love to drive....

Argg why cant economy be simple !

incidentaly my round trip to work is 80 miles too !

Comment

Working...
                              X