Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLIFFORD or TOAD

Hi guys,

Am picking my new Surf up on Thursday and am getting a Thatcham Cat1 Alarm/Immob fitted. Trouble is, don't know which one to get put on. Am looking at either the CLIFFORD Intelliguard 950, Concept 650 or the TOAD AI 606. The people I've spoke too seem to be 50-50. Some say get a TOAD, some say get a CLIFFORD!!!!

Can anyone who has any of these systems fitted advise me on any problems they have had, or any views as to the performance of these Alarms??

Cheers

Originally posted by M35A2
    Hi guys,

Am picking my new Surf up on Thursday and am getting a Thatcham Cat1 Alarm/Immob fitted. Trouble is, don't know which one to get put on. Am looking at either the CLIFFORD Intelliguard 950, Concept 650 or the TOAD AI 606. The people I've spoke too seem to be 50-50. Some say get a TOAD, some say get a CLIFFORD!!!!

Can anyone who has any of these systems fitted advise me on any problems they have had, or any views as to the performance of these Alarms??

Cheers

Not sure exactly with relation to the Surf but I've had both a Toad system and a Clifford system in the past and pretty much they are the same quality, price and backed up by good reputations. If you can get a deal on one or the other then I would go for it. One thing though - make sure that the fitters are assured by your particular insurance company cos if they are not then they will make you take it to someone else to be checked.
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Clifford has better after sales back up from past experiance .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Happy with my AI606 but TOAD will be cheaper more often than not
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

What do you mean the fitters have to be assured by the insurance company???

I know you have to have a Thatcham qualified fitter fit the alarm, but do you mean the insurance company will have a list of fitters or outlets that they recognise as qualified for the job??? I am looking at getting mine fitted at INTERPART in Didcot. The guy there is supposed to be a top class fitter, and he is a certificated Thatcham fitter. The store is also a CLIFFORD authorized dealer. So would that mean it would have insurance approval??

Comment

The prices FITTED inc vat from INTERPART are:

£499 for the CLIFFORD intelliguard 950

£379 for the CLIFFORD concept 650 and

£349 for the TOAD AI606

Would you say this is good value for money?? I know the job is only as good as the guy fitting the system, but there is always a constant stream of "boy racers" going there to get work done. It's a hard call this. I am having nightmares just thinking about my new baby having it's guts ripped out and having all the wiring tampered with... Do you think they will need a wiring diagram for the SURF, or do you think he will know what he's doing without one?? I've been told they have done quite a few SURFS, but then they would say that, wouldn't they.

The owner has got a Toyota Hilux "monster Truck" with a Range Rover 3.9lt V8 EFI engine in it......... Not sure this is a good thing?????

Comment

Hi guys,

Cheers
              the only plus i would say about clifford there are lots of addons for instance i have a smoke screen fitted ie:if anyone breaks in and sets the alarm off it fills the truck with thick white smoke if you cant see it you cant nick and like someone else said the after marker back up is second to non
              I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

As long as they are Thatcham aproved that is enough I think.
                I got mine from CarAlarms UK and he had fitted them on loads of Surfs. really nice job.
                Its cheaper too... £330 fitted for the Toad and they come to you.
                TOAD AI606
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Hi guys,

Cheers
                  I had a LASERLINE Thatcham Cat1 Imobilser/alarm fitted recently when i bought my surf. I had it fitted by a qualified auto electrician and it cost me £200 cash. Insurance company seems happy with as do I.

Comment

Got a Clifford at the mo' and I prefer the old Toad AI606 I had in the old motor.
                    Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

I had a Clifford Concept 300 fitted to my car (not surf) 4 years ago and never had any problems with it at all (despite having other electrical/shorting problems not related to the alarm) - still working as good as new. Out of all the alarms I have had it's my fave with regards ease of use and simplicity/setup etc.

On my 2.4 surf I had an Avital alarm/immob fitted (it's a Cat 1 and made by clifford, it's their "cheaper/budget" brand), and although not quite as feature rich or easy to set up as the clifford concept I was happy with that too.

I have a Laserline on one of my motorbikes and I don't like it much - just not as easy or simple or straightforward as the Avital or Clifford - I would not buy another.
                      No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

if you're worried about the fitter or alarm... pop down to Thatcham (the town, not the mirrc!!!)... it's 20 miles from didcot McDonalds (i've measured!) (A34 south, A4 East into Thatcham, then take a right at "A plan insurance" then left at "A-Z Autoparts...)in station road go to "sound secure"... speak to mike smith there, he's top dog with alarms and a real geeky techie type with all car electrics. (he's the one with the beard!)

they're really good, not "boy racer" oriented and fitted me a certified Toad AI606 with loads of extras for about £400

as long as you get a fitting certificate with the alarm then you're covered.

they'll give a balanced opinion as they're not a clifford main dealer, they're independent and will do anything.

real nice bloke called phil runs the place, and even though he's my mates ex's dad, he's not paying me commission!! (i think he hates me but likes my money!!)
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Hi guys,

Cheers
                          I had a Clifford 650 fitted when I got my surf. It works fine and hasn't given me any problems. I'm going to get the auto window closing add on next.
                          I paid £299 for it from a clifford dealer in Northwich. The prices vary wildly so call everyone for your quotes.

Comment

What do you mean the fitters have to be assured by the insurance company???

I know you have to have a Thatcham qualified fitter fit the alarm, but do you mean the insurance company will have a list of fitters or outlets that they recognise as qualified for the job??? I am looking at getting mine fitted at INTERPART in Didcot. The guy there is supposed to be a top class fitter, and he is a certificated Thatcham fitter. The store is also a CLIFFORD authorized dealer. So would that mean it would have insurance approval??
                            I had a problem where I had mine fitted by one of the top countrywide fitters, but my insurance company said that this firm had not renewed their thatcham certificate and so I had to take it elsewhere to get it checked as they would not recognise it for insurance purposes as fitted by an approved fitter. By speaking to the insurance company and the fitters I eventually managed to avoid having to do this and the firm do actually have a certificate. I'm not sure if they have a list or when you send the proof of fitment that they then check the credentials of the fitters. an insurance bod could probably answer this.
                            Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

da SLUG man

Yes I know where that place is. I think I have seen your SURF quite a few times. I work in Thatcham, BOC. So it's just around the corner from me. I saw a SURF turn left behind the row of houses by that old chapel in the middle of the road, wasn't you by any chance was it???
                              Andy
                              Last edited by M35A2; 9 August 2005, 18:07.

Comment

Working...
                              X