Greetings From Dubai :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings From Dubai :)

Well actually it's greetings from Ras Al Khaimah which is about 100ks east from Dubai. It's bl00dy hot out here at the moment, it was 39 degrees at 09:00 this morning and went up to 42 by midday Still, I think that I can put up with that for a couple of weeks

One problem, I have only seen one Surf, which was a 2nd Gen, but every other vehicle is a Landcruiser and they don't believe in going easy with the right foot - but then again with fuel at about 90 pence per gallon, would you?

Anyway, thinking of you all enjoying yourselves in the sunny U.K. of course

Cheers, Nick (Missing my Surf )
    "The force will be with you, always!"

Originally posted by Nick V
    Well actually it's greetings from Ras Al Khaimah which is about 100ks east from Dubai. It's bl00dy hot out here at the moment, it was 39 degrees at 09:00 this morning and went up to 42 by midday Still, I think that I can put up with that for a couple of weeks

One problem, I have only seen one Surf, which was a 2nd Gen, but every other vehicle is a Landcruiser and they don't believe in going easy with the right foot - but then again with fuel at about 90 pence per gallon, would you?

I stayed in the Al Hamra Fort hotel in Ras al Khaimah. Found the speed bumps on the dual carraigeway a jolting experience. !!
    Went scuba diving from the Adjman Kempinski hotel, bit closer to Dubai.
    It was 42-ish when I was there in June. Blessed be the air con !!

Have fun...
    Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Do the locals still go out at night with guns and shoot them in the air out in RAK. Lived in Abu Dhabi for a couple of years in the late 90's although spent a lot of time in Dubai. Families went home for the summer so the summer was when we used to go out into the desert in the 4x4s and bash it up as there was nothing else to do except go out and get trashed on a Thursday night (Fibber Magees in Dubai was a favorite haunt).

How long are you out for.

There are some great places to go off road down near the Dubai/Oman border, used to take my cherokee down there, mind you it was a bit embarrasing when the locals would go past you on really rough roads, doing 50 in their S class Mercs.

Avoid the Locals in the LCs, they are crazy, when I was there they used to take them down the Abu Dhabi Dubai road at over 100 and jump the speed bumps - some of them ending up flying into the desert and landing on their roofs. Happy days

Cheers

Comment

Aaah memories eh Andy !!!

I went on one of those dune safari things in a LC. Madness...!!! Not so bad when it started in the afternoon but coming back at night,,,jeeeeez...!

Comment

Originally posted by Helen

I went on one of those dune safari things in a LC. Madness...!!! Not so bad when it started in the afternoon but coming back at night,,,jeeeeez...!
          I did one of those too, we took a bunch of LC's, and your right, the trip back at night was mental, all the local "boys" had come out to play..... Nick, you HAVE to go do this while your out there.

Rob.
          Rob & Miranda

Surfing on the south coast

Comment

I did that too - was spectacular - I squeeled a lot as our driver found out we were quite happily as mad as him and really went for it!! Did you try sand boarding too??
            Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
              I did that too - was spectacular - I squeeled a lot as our driver found out we were quite happily as mad as him and really went for it!! Did you try sand boarding too??
              We had that too, we kept saying yeaaaaa, and the french girl in the back kept screaming, hehehehe, and yes, Linda I did try sand boarding, got all the way to the bottom and then stacked it, had sand in every orifice for days (also got Miranda to have a go using the board as a sled, great fun..)

Rob.
              Rob & Miranda

Surfing on the south coast

Comment

Whoooooo we are off to Kuwait in September when the heat is a bit more bareable with a one day stop over in Dubai.

Can't wait Mum and Dad live in Kuwait and I used to live in Qatar we used to go dune bashing regularly it was great fun if a little petrifying at the top of the dune when you pray you don't turn sideways and roll down the hill. The most amazing thing was listening to the dunes sing.

No doubt we will be heading out to the desert at some point in Septmeber even if its just to check out how well a Nissan Pajero hand break turns! Dad says there aren't any dunes in Kuwait oh well we will have just try and avoid the land mines instead I am sure that will be more petrifiyng!!
                Off Roading Rules!! When's the next meet??

[IMG

Comment

I stayed in the Al Hamra Fort hotel in Ras al Khaimah. Found the speed bumps on the dual carraigeway a jolting experience. !!
                  Went scuba diving from the Adjman Kempinski hotel, bit closer to Dubai.
                  It was 42-ish when I was there in June. Blessed be the air con !!

Have fun...
                  Helen, that's where we're staying too. Very nice place but they like to charge over the top for everything compared to o/s the hotel!! Still, have to agree about the air con!

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                    Do the locals still go out at night with guns and shoot them in the air out in RAK. Lived in Abu Dhabi for a couple of years in the late 90's although spent a lot of time in Dubai. Families went home for the summer so the summer was when we used to go out into the desert in the 4x4s and bash it up as there was nothing else to do except go out and get trashed on a Thursday night (Fibber Magees in Dubai was a favorite haunt).

How long are you out for.

There are some great places to go off road down near the Dubai/Oman border, used to take my cherokee down there, mind you it was a bit embarrasing when the locals would go past you on really rough roads, doing 50 in their S class Mercs.

Avoid the Locals in the LCs, they are crazy, when I was there they used to take them down the Abu Dhabi Dubai road at over 100 and jump the speed bumps - some of them ending up flying into the desert and landing on their roofs. Happy days

Cheers
                    Haven't heard or seen any locals with guns - yet We have been out here about a week and a half and have just over a week to go, so I hope to get on one of the 4x4 treks

Agree with you about the locals in LCs, they drive at mental speeds, and the way they take the roundabouts

Gonna go to Dubai later in the week and will see what the local 'establishments' are like then But as you say, "Happy Days"

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Orions_pop
                      I did one of those too, we took a bunch of LC's, and your right, the trip back at night was mental, all the local "boys" had come out to play..... Nick, you HAVE to go do this while your out there.

Rob.
                      Rob, gonna go for one of these, wife permitting of course

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Helen, that's where we're staying too. Very nice place but they like to charge over the top for everything compared to o/s the hotel!! Still, have to agree about the air con!

Cheers, Nick
                        We had a room the size of a football pitch. And the bed was Huuuuuuuuge, made an excellent trampoline. !!!Agree it is a tad expensive but you are pretty captive there so I guess they can get away with it. Can't really go strolling about at night...there's nothing there for miles. Unless they've developed that area more. Dubai centre was fab for shops especially the gold souks..... have fun but hide the credit cards !!!

Comment

Gonna go to Dubai later in the week and will see what the local 'establishments' are like then But as you say, "Happy Days"

Cheers, Nick
                          Nick if you can get there go to the water park at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel... its awesome!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

My Dad says get yourself on the Creek Boat ride at night its meant to be fantastic! We are staying in the Sanmarco opposite the Hyatt its cheap as chips and rooms are tiny but it has a pool and its only for 1 night I am not bothered!
                            Off Roading Rules!! When's the next meet??

[IMG

Comment

Originally posted by LottieS16
                              My Dad says get yourself on the Creek Boat ride at night its meant to be fantastic! We are staying in the Sanmarco opposite the Hyatt its cheap as chips and rooms are tiny but it has a pool and its only for 1 night I am not bothered!
                              Done that, and your dad is right, it is great.

Dubai Spice and Gold Souks are great as well.

Ad as for the locals with guns, maybe they've just calmed down a little now, used to be Psycho crazy in the Mid '90s.

If you want to Chill out, it's nice down at Hatta Fort as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X