Blinkin' roof bars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark lawton
    Hi, saw a pic somewhere on the net that used 4 thule bars on a Surf- covering the whole roof.Cant recall where though sorry.
    I do recall how they wre fitted.
    1st bar above drivers door as far forward as possible, 2 was above the rear passenger door again as far forward as possible.
    Bar 3 went above the rear passenger door as far back as possible, and finally bar 4 had the feet on but wasnt connected to the roof, but used a pair of Thule short roof bars to run forward on to bar 3.
    Then a sheet of marine ply was screwed over the whole lot.
    Result was a full length roof rack.
    On the subject does anyone have any ideas about modifying a landrover 110 expedition style roof rack for a Surf, the access ladder would obviously get put on one of the sides near the rear. Or is there one available ready made, or possibly a foot convertion?
    I travel quite a few miles and need the space for too much junk
    thanks , mark
    i always climb on the back step or one of the back wheels... no need for a ladder
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i used to have one of them adapter jobs on a scirrocco, i priced the thule set at best part of 200 quid and that was 8 years back!and thats just for a pair of bars and the side pieces. lucky i worked for a stockist so i miraculously found all the bits i needed in the spares bin....
      4 bars... side bits..... feet.... locks...... sheet of marine ply...... yikes!! cheaper to do 2 trips!!!
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

A much cheaper option would be to get about six self tappers, and screw the box to the roof from the inside!
        Job done.

Comment

SURF Roof Bars

Following 2 months searching, the garage I bought my Surf form, found me a set of the feet/handles that lock into the rails on the roof. Now have a set of Thule bars that do not need to grip the door edges. Keep asking around as these accessories are usually thrown away between the docks and the forecourt.

Good Luck.
          Regards Colin.

Comment

Working...
          X