Sloppy front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloppy front

The front of the surf has got a bit sloppy and wanders a little.

Iv had shocks/balljoints/ bearings changed already this year ,is it likely to be anti roll bar bushes??????

cheers

Mike
    I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Originally posted by Mike66
    The front of the surf has got a bit sloppy and wanders a little.

Iv had shocks/balljoints/ bearings changed already this year ,is it likely to be anti roll bar bushes??????

cheers

Mike
    First thing to check and the cheapest is tyre pressure.
    Just had a screw stuck in my front near side and it didnt look like it was low but when I checked there was only 15 psi, and that made for sloppy handeling.

Fish
    If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Could be caused by a number of things.As above with tyre pressure but check the rears as well.Tie rod ends,idler arm,steering damper.Check the rear sway bar as well and make sure it is there.If not then the rear swaying from side to side will tend to affect steering.

Neville

Comment

I have all new tryes put on last week.

My idler has new bushes

How do i check if its the damper or tie rod ends and is the sway bar at the back the bar that runs diagonal acroos the back behind the diff.( call me stupid but im still learning)

cheers

Mike

Comment

Have you had a full front end alignment done? Not just tracking but a camber & caster check too. If either of these are off it will result in sloppy/poor handling/steering.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I have all new tryes put on last week.

My idler has new bushes
            Is the ball joint end ok?

How do i check if its the damper or tie rod ends and is the sway bar at the back the bar that runs diagonal acroos the back behind the diff.( call me stupid but im still learning)
            If the damper is leaking oil replace it.You can test it by removing and standing upright and while supporting the bottom pump up and down to test for smooth and even operation.

Tie rod ends can be tested by jacking up front and turning wheels side to side to check for movement in the joints.

The bar at rear is the Panhard Rod.The sway bar is mounted to rear axle housing at the front.

Neville

Comment

Thankyou good people I shall let you know what happens.

See i know someone had been under the motor they changed the panyard and sway bars around.!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X