Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed..again...

Hi All,

Posted a few days ago, as lights appearing on my dash even when running!

I've disconnected the battery for half an hour or so, but lights still there.
    Tried to read the ecu codes, but guess that disconnecting battery has deleted them from the ecu's memory?

however, the lights are still showing on the dash. The lights concerned are the red light to right of green turbo light, the timing belt light (already tried to reset this by removing rubber bung and pressing the button, to no avail!), and the light to left of timing belt light that looks like fluid dripping from engine.

I'm now stumped and don't know what to look at next. Wondering if it might actually be the ecu itself gone wrong?!

Should I be driving it? Timing belt was changed 24000 miles ago, so don't see that that can be gone already. Just worried to drive when have no idea of the problem!

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Neil

Lots of dashboard lights is often a symptom of the alternator packing up. Probably just the brushes worn but you need to get the charging checked
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
      Lots of dashboard lights is often a symptom of the alternator packing up. Probably just the brushes worn but you need to get the charging checked
      Cheers Roger - I assume you mean check that the alternator is charging the battery?
      Stupid question, but why would that illuminate so many lights? Does not seem to make sense, but sometimes it's the odd sounding ideas that work.

I'll have a look in a minute.

Comment

Dash lights illuminating,warning buzzers going off is a sure sign the Alternator is cactus.

Neville

Comment

because it doesn't give a steady voltage... everything cets confudgulated

... things might stop working too
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

You could try checking that you have no loose/broken wires in the engine bay. You may have knocked/pinched/broken something when working on the engine. Just a thought.....

Cheers, Nick
            "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Thanks for the alternator hints

Looks like that's the correct diagnosis as there's only 11.5V o the battery when running and when not running. The engine dies too if the neg battery terminal is removed rather than continue running off the battery.

Anyone know any good surf friendly garages in the enfield/herts area to take out the alternator so it can be serviced? A bit beyond my nechanical skills I reckon.

Also, If I drive it without the radio, aircon, fan, lights etc turned on, how long will it keep running on the battery without the alternator? Any guesses?

Cheers

Neil
              Last edited by naphar; 23 July 2005, 13:44.

Comment

If you make sure the battery is well charged before starting out you can drive for miles. When my alternator packed up off roading I drove nearly 100 miles home and the truck would still start when I got back.
                Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

i drove a lorry nearly all day (300miles) with no alternator... by the end of it i had no rev counter, no radio, no lights, no speedo, best bit was no tacho or speed limiter (but no speedo to say how fast it went!)... sure there was something funky happening with the brakes too!...
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Hi mate you can try my mechanic who has worked on my Surf a few times and is very good with any vehicle and has had all my family/friends motors for years and years.
                    He is in Edmonton (round the corner from the new IKEA),

RS Motors (Rob)
                    020 8345 7170

Tell him Tim with the Surf gave you his number.
                    Maybe its worth you getting a new/recon alternator?

Originally posted by naphar
                    Thanks for the alternator hints

Looks like that's the correct diagnosis as there's only 11.5V o the battery when running and when not running. The engine dies too if the neg battery terminal is removed rather than continue running off the battery.

Anyone know any good surf friendly garages in the enfield/herts area to take out the alternator so it can be serviced? A bit beyond my nechanical skills I reckon.

Also, If I drive it without the radio, aircon, fan, lights etc turned on, how long will it keep running on the battery without the alternator? Any guesses?

Cheers

Neil
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                    X