GPS Satnav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Satnav

I use a Mitac pocket pda with built in satnav and my query is, does anyone know if I can get software that will allow me to use it in the USA next year?? I have seen tomtom5 with U.S maps but couldn't get an answer when I asked if it would work.

Originally posted by Andy W
    I use a Mitac pocket pda with built in satnav and my query is, does anyone know if I can get software that will allow me to use it in the USA next year?? I have seen tomtom5 with U.S maps but couldn't get an answer when I asked if it would work.
    Andy,

If it takes normal Pocket PC go to here and look for it.

I have the "Kingmap" for Missouri

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Download a copy of Mapoplis. Works with most GPS receivers for PDAs - I used it with a GPS Jacket and also my TomTom GPS Mouse. Aound $99 gets you all the US maps for a year, works well too, used it in New York, North Carolina, Canada and Arizona - also in Europe cos I got the europe maps for it as well. Full voice guided prompts, maps aren't as pretty as the tomtom ones but it works just as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W
        Tomtom Should work, its a Pocket PC running windows, so no reason why it shouldn't , except tomtom likes to have its own GPS reciever , you can get it to work with others with a little fiddling with the drivers , but tomtom is pricey for a holiday as you have to purchase the maps for the area you need at about £100 a go !
        http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

My TomTom worked no problem with the Emtac GPSJAQ which I liked cos it had an external antenna socket. Mapopolis will work with pretty much any standard output type antenna.

Comment

I have Destinator and tomtom 5 for the US both work fine on a PDA.

I am probably more critical about the software as i use sat nav every day for work but the tom tom version of US maps do not eat as much memory on the storage as destinator does but you only load in the maps you need for which ever state you need for example Florida eats 80Mb on destinator where as on tomtom 5 its only 30Mb. They are as good as each other but you pays your money and you take your choice..
            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Working...
            X