4x4 Funday - 24/07/05 at Farley Quarry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 Funday - 24/07/05 at Farley Quarry

Well having had my Surf - '94 3.0 SSRG, since April, I've finally decided to see what she can do Off Road. So I've had a look round on the web and found a Pay and Play day this Sunday at Farley Quarry in Shropshire.

http://www.4x4funday.com/offrd.html

So, I'm after some advice of all you kind people who have more experiance than me.
    Firstly, has anyone been to this site before and how technical does it get. Does it cater for all levels? The Missus has shown an interest in getting behind the wheel. Scary!
    Secondly, what sort of things should I be taking with me, will just a tow rope and a small tool-kit (Just in case) see me through.
    I don't plan on tackling anything too drastic as the Surf is completely standard and still running Bridgestone Dueller A/T's. BFG's to be added when I get back off my hols in September.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=7][COLOR=Blue][B]PJH[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

there'll be people there with all the gear you need... would take water, and a few tools

follow someone round and see what they do!

it's pretty self explanatory, don't do anything you don't feel confident with.

half the fun is getting stuck and trying again!

make sure you clean out the rad afterwards (engine cooling one) and wipe off lights and number plate
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by PJH
      Well having had my Surf - '94 3.0 SSRG, since April, I've finally decided to see what she can do Off Road. So I've had a look round on the web and found a Pay and Play day this Sunday at Farley Quarry in Shropshire.

http://www.4x4funday.com/offrd.html

So, I'm after some advice of all you kind people who have more experiance than me.
      Firstly, has anyone been to this site before and how technical does it get. Does it cater for all levels? The Missus has shown an interest in getting behind the wheel. Scary!
      Secondly, what sort of things should I be taking with me, will just a tow rope and a small tool-kit (Just in case) see me through.
      I don't plan on tackling anything too drastic as the Surf is completely standard and still running Bridgestone Dueller A/T's. BFG's to be added when I get back off my hols in September.

Theres an off-roading event at the end of this month up in hasligden. Been there twoce...very easy as its farmers fields with small quarry drops. Last two times we were charged tenner for the full day. See off-roading section
      Gaz

Comment

The 4x4Funday events aren't the cheapest around- at £30 per day. But then if it's close to home that's fair enough as it'll cost more in fuel to get futher afield.

Can't remember if it's the Farley Quarry or the Wildmoor offroad site- but one these sites is notorious for the sand/grit mixture that get's in all your running gear- so many offroaders avoid the place.

As for difficulty- these places are as easy or difficult as you make them. Best thing to do is turn up early and watch what the other cars do for an hour or so. Pay attention to where other similarly equiped cars to yours go (and more importantly don't go!) then just join in the fun and follow them round.

Oh...and don't forget to post some piccies!

Comment

Originally posted by PJH
          You will be surprised at the tyres - they are very capable offroad and unless you are changing to BFG M/Ts or yours are bald I doubt you will notice the difference.
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Cheers for all the advice. I'll report back on what the site is like and hopefully have some photos aswell.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=7][COLOR=Blue][B]PJH[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
            X