Importing 2.7 Petrol and SVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing 2.7 Petrol and SVA

My 2.7 petrol 1996 3rd gen (OK OK strike me down I know its not the diesel but these are so damn cheap at auction and I rarely stray off road and don't subject other road users to a caravan) is on the banana boat bound for the UK. Have done my homework on SVA through threads on this site...thanks for the tips guys n ladies. Want to sort out a couple of things with the experts
    1. As its a petrol will it need a fuel filler adadtor?, to be honest don't know what one is other than allows you to use only unleaded nozzle?? Can you just stick it in (oooow er missus) the original filler point?
    2. Any one in Scotland used the SVA test centre at Bridge of Don in Aberdeen?? Don't know what to expect so must err on side of caution and take everything off the beast that could harm or strangle a small fluffy animal (rear wheel carrier, bull bars, reversing mirror, TV, SAT nav box, CD multichanger under seat and wiring looms, etc)
    Any thoughts or advice welcome
    chrs scuddy
    ------------------------------------
    Look out! Ee

Those that have gone down this route will probably be able to give you much more advice but most of the things you want to take off are pretty standard on some of the vehicles imported from Japan, so I'd leave well alone unless you have specific problems.

Certainly if it's got a turbo timer then that might be best unplugged before the SVA but everything else ought to be OK, although it's doubleful the SatNav or the standard Toy radio will work properly over here. The radio would need at least a band expander but better to s**** it and fit a UK spec radio/cd/cassette etc.

Best of luck with the rest and get ready to bolt on the GRIN.
    Mike G

Comment

Chris,
      I cannot offer any advice on Bridge of Don test center, however when i first started with importing Surf's i went to Glasgow test center & asked to speak with a test engineer who carried out the tests.

I expalined that it was my first time & i was going to do, this & that to the Surf before i brought it in for the test.
      The engineer was helpfull - without being to forthcoing - more along the lines of this is the main items i'll be looking for but there might be others which i find on inspection.

Radio etc i just left in as was, because one item he did mention was "non protected wiring" by that he ment not in a loom or in flexible conduit ( or similar ) so i reckoned if i left all electrics alone, they hopefully had been installed at manufacturer, but i did check the wring looms throughtout first & found a couple of problems with wiring not been either in a loom or protected, which i then carried the work on to make they acceptable.

Another area he was concerned with was the rear spare wheel carrier on the rear door, this had to come off & all holes fitted with a nut / washer / bolt to cover the hole, did not allow rubber grommets, spare in back was OK.

Anyway all in all he was quite helpfull, in an official way, without going overboard.
      My first on failed on a couple of small points, like bull bars ( lambs to the slaughter feeling at the time), but soon rectified the failures & she passed.

I used the first test as a learning lesson & i've never had a failure since, although sometimes i think i go overboard with possible problem areas.
      The orgininal engineer has now gone elsewhere but the new guy always gives a very positive response after a test.

My advice is to go and speak with a test engineers at Aberdeen, before you take the Surf in and ask for pointers & advice.

Good luck M8
      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks for respone

I had figured on removing the bull bars, rear spare carrier (put the spare in the boot space) and sealing holes with grommets and reversing mirror...funny bolts/nuts is a different approach and I would have thought more dangerous than a grommet...but hey I'm only mortal not an SVA test engineer.

I'll also give the electric looms a good going over and tie up any loose wiring. I recon the Sat Nav and Cd multi changer box will have to come out as I'm sure they're just loose to rattle around on the floor or dangling on the end of a bunch of wires! Sewerat, As a matter of interest is it best to run the fog light wiring along behind the carpet and panel trim and out through boot area floor with a grommet seal and run in sheathing to lamp??

I'm now convinced the best way to pass this thing is go and talk to the test engineer at the centre. As its a petrol I still need to find out about the filler nozzle adaptor??

cheers
        Scuddy
        Look out! Ee

Comment

Fuel filler restrictor, not sure if this is the one that most people use.

http://www.spmotor.co.uk/fillerfitting.htm

All petrol - engined vehicles registered after 1st August 1995, and most registered from 1st August 1992 require a restricted fuel filler neck of 26.3mm.
          Last edited by andy; 19 July 2005, 13:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Scuddy
            My 2.7 petrol 1996 3rd gen (OK OK strike me down I know its not the diesel but these are so damn cheap at auction and I rarely stray off road and don't subject other road users to a caravan) is on the banana boat bound for the UK. Have done my homework on SVA through threads on this site...thanks for the tips guys n ladies. Want to sort out a couple of things with the experts
            1. As its a petrol will it need a fuel filler adadtor?, to be honest don't know what one is other than allows you to use only unleaded nozzle?? Can you just stick it in (oooow er missus) the original filler point?
            2. Any one in Scotland used the SVA test centre at Bridge of Don in Aberdeen?? Don't know what to expect so must err on side of caution and take everything off the beast that could harm or strangle a small fluffy animal (rear wheel carrier, bull bars, reversing mirror, TV, SAT nav box, CD multichanger under seat and wiring looms, etc)
            Any thoughts or advice welcome
            chrs scuddy
            Got to ask how much is this beast ? and what will your total cost be including shipping etc!

Comment

Hi people!

An interesting point in here about the bolt vs rubber grommets as I have virtually finished prepping mine now. I order some mushroom type grommets today to fill the holes as I too thought the bolts would be too dangerous?

For the foglight I took the drivers side panels out from front to back and zip tied the fog light wire all along the loom to the rear. I then used small sticky pads with a grippy bit on to hold the wire across the floor to a small grommet. Wire then runs through here under rear to fog light. Wire is in heat shrink and secured under vehicle. Ive popped the switch in a blanking plate to the right of the steering column - hope this is ok for them!

Rgds

Ant
              1996 SSR-G 3.0 TD Intercooler
              Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

Originally posted by bobo
                Got to ask how much is this beast ? and what will your total cost be including shipping etc!
                All in should still see a good bit of change out of £6k and that's delivered by the shippers to the door...then there's SVA (£180), model report (£50), fogger + speedo (budget £40), fuel restrictor (£15) + usual for MOT, road tax, registration (£38) and cost of getting plates.

So all in should be on the road for around £6k+ (depends how many toys I want to add)...but this motor is a manual, auction grade 4B so you can probably pay £500-£700 less for an auto of similar spec if you shop around and are patient.

If you want to know what runs through an SVA examiners head, there's a guide 'Vehicle and Operator Services Agency's SVA Inspection Manual' but it costs £37!! from VOSA, PO Box 12, Swansea, SA1 1BP.

scuddy
                Look out! Ee

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                  Fuel filler restrictor, not sure if this is the one that most people use.

http://www.spmotor.co.uk/fillerfitting.htm

All petrol - engined vehicles registered after 1st August 1995, and most registered from 1st August 1992 require a restricted fuel filler neck of 26.3mm.
                  Cheers Andy, stumbled on this site by mistake, necks are around £13 + P&P

scuddy
                  Look out! Ee

Comment

Originally posted by db2boy
                    Hi people!

An interesting point in here about the bolt vs rubber grommets as I have virtually finished prepping mine now. I order some mushroom type grommets today to fill the holes as I too thought the bolts would be too dangerous?

For the foglight I took the drivers side panels out from front to back and zip tied the fog light wire all along the loom to the rear. I then used small sticky pads with a grippy bit on to hold the wire across the floor to a small grommet. Wire then runs through here under rear to fog light. Wire is in heat shrink and secured under vehicle. Ive popped the switch in a blanking plate to the right of the steering column - hope this is ok for them!

Rgds

Ant
                    Chrs Ant

Figured much the same....have you fused the fogger seperately or just run off the power to side lights?

By the way your surf was that awesome SSRG in pearl on the forum pictures the other day with double barrel rear end stainless tubes with what I can only assume is a leather bonnet cosy to carry the Pajero drivers who faint in awe at it!! WELL Cool alloys as well. Did you fit the clear rear lenses or were they on it when delivered

Mines an SSRX in pearl, I don't care what the price and popularity says...I like the colour...but black rocks

let me know how you get on with the SVA

good luck m8
                    scuddy
                    Look out! Ee

Comment

Originally posted by Scuddy
                      Chrs Ant

Figured much the same....have you fused the fogger seperately or just run off the power to side lights?

By the way your surf was that awesome SSRG in pearl on the forum pictures the other day with double barrel rear end stainless tubes with what I can only assume is a leather bonnet cosy to carry the Pajero drivers who faint in awe at it!! WELL Cool alloys as well. Did you fit the clear rear lenses or were they on it when delivered

Mines an SSRX in pearl, I don't care what the price and popularity says...I like the colour...but black rocks

let me know how you get on with the SVA

good luck m8
                      scuddy
                      Scuddy,
                      I took the feed for the foglight from a small loom under the panel that has the bonnet/fuel release in. Fog will only work now when side or main lights are on.

Thanks muchly for the +ve feedback on my Surf All the tarty bits where already fitted on the vehicle whilst in Japan, loads of 'bits' available from Japan! Some of the alloys make mine look boring

I had a black RX-7, bitch to keep looking clean, lighter colour is easier

Rgds

Ant
                      1996 SSR-G 3.0 TD Intercooler
                      Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

Working...
                      X