Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged Rim

Hi

Just got back from having the both rear tyres replaced (or should I say one replaced and the spare fitted!)

Whilst outside the tyre bay chatting on the phone there is one ALMIGHTY BANG, and everyone starts thinking NO IT CANT HAPPEN HERE, and luckily it hadnt! It was just a tyre exploding the only trouble is IT WAS MINE !!!!

What has made it worse is that the rim came out of the clamps and damaged the lip!! The company have admitted liability and are now in the process of trying to get it repaired !! (They are a very reputable company with a good name on the island.)

My concern is how good is it when they repair ALLOY WHEELS ???? I am not sure how I stand with this!

The other worry I have, is that my spare has a 215 SR 15 where as my original are 31 x 10 50 R 15! does any one know if it ok to run with these 2 on the same axle? I am off to the big MAINLAND this weekend.

Any thoughts or comments?

Paul
    DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

I would have no problem with a properly repaired rim, its a well established industry with a good success rate, when done properly you should not be able to see any visible indication of the rim having been repaired (full testing would require access to NDT equipment).
    Of more immediate concern is the mixed tyre sizes, 215 R15 equates to approx 28.5x8.5 R15, substantially different to the opposite mounted 31x10.5 R15, this is not good and would certainly lead to unstable handling in emergency situations, and possibly dangerous handling under even normal driving, definitely not recommended for anything other than emergency use, ie under 30mph for a distance of less than about 30miles, even then I'd be wary of such a large size difference
    Last edited by Morr; 13 July 2005, 14:15.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Now then, what you need is someone who repairs alloy wheels, erm, cant think of anyone of hand, but will let you know if i do,lol.

Sorry to say my company dosent cover your area, but PLEASE feel free to ask any questions, ill do my best to help.

Surf wheels are a mixture of painted and aftermarket diamond cut /polished alloys, any pics of yours.

Pete

Comment

what is the rim size of your spare? if its15"x7" or more get the tyre co. to fit the 31 10.50 r15 to this rim untill they've repaired your alloy then swap them back later, all for free as it was there fault! otherwise see if you can borrow one for a while.
        Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

you can borrow my spare or my surf for your trip paul long as i can use yours for work and callouts buddy
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

Originally posted by pops
            you can borrow my spare or my surf for your trip paul long as i can use yours for work and callouts buddy
            Thanks for all the info everyone.

Morr you have confirmed my thoughts about the mixed tyre sizes! I dont intend to go far tomorrow and as they think the rim should be repaired by Friday and I should be able to get it sorted so long as they get it done early enough!.

Pete, why do you not cover my area, thats just not on! Mine is meant to be colour co-ordinated centres (although its flaked off) with chrome rims and domed bolts. I havealways wanted to get them repainted but never got round to it (or afford it!)

Openback, I shall be pushing for something out of them like that, if they cant repair it in time, as the owner of the company seeemed genuine but the one thing I did not like was when he said I would not be able to go on Friday! if they could not repair it in time (that was like a red rag to a bull! ) I will push for a hire car with TOW HITCH!! if that happens

Thanks for the offer Martin I shall bear it in mind but i am more concerned about the matched type of wheel on the car than the spare as if i get another flat the RAC can sort it out. Plus i have enough people to shout to for help on the way, and you are the first outward bound and Last return bound! ( I GOT YOUR NUMBER!)

I shall let you know how it goes!
            Attached Files
            DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

bit careless Paul

Bet that bang filled a few pairs of underpants

Trev
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
              X