Diagnosis urgently needed from the Surf doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosis urgently needed from the Surf doctor

Hi all I need a diagnosis from the Surf doctor if I am to get back to UK next Sunday, presently in France here is my story.

Saturday two week ago left home drove 6 miles and car overheated plus engine light came on. Stopped allowed to cool down then filled with water and drove back home. Car fine for all of Sunday. Monday car goes into garage for service plus pressure test. Pressure test shows rad leaking so new manual rad fitted. My Surf has additional external oilcooler. Set off the tunnel on Wednesday night towing caravan. Everything fine temp gauge just on or below half as normal. got to tunnel crosed over to France. only gone about twenty miles and temp starts to rise. Pluuled into layby rad cap off and steam emerging. added about a gallon of water. carried on journey keeping to around 2000 rpm. Car fine temp gauge as normal. after 100 miles have to climb hills car has to work a little. Temp starts to rise. pull in add about half gallon water. Set off again all fine temp gauge normal. Got to destination no more trouble.

Car running around down here as normal no water loss and temp gauge as normal.

Question is do you think the head gasket has gone, is there any thing else wrong and will I do any damage driving it home on Sunday. was it air locked because when the garage filled it the rear heater was turned off. Am leaving the caravan here so it will not have to work hard comming home.

PS air con dripping water out of drain pipe.

Many thanks
    Malcolm
    Last edited by Malenibo; 12 July 2005, 20:49.
    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Only thing I can think of is.....were the heater controls set to hot when you refilled with water?

Comment

Give the coolant system a good burping you may have an air lock
      Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

If you are running a manual rad, you can rule out tranny oil temps overheating the engine. Are you sure it hasn't got another small leak and losing water, or the 'stat is stuck?

Check the water every morning, even if it hasn't got hot, this way you'll know if its losing water first, or its overheating and boiling the water out.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Also worth carefully checking the rubber seal on the rad cap to make sure there are no cracks in it
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

As Tony says, also whats the level in the expansion tank, both cold and when it overheats. If its full then go for stat or duff rad cap, if it aint full then you got a leak elsewhere in the system
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
              As Tony says, also whats the level in the expansion tank, both cold and when it overheats. If its full then go for stat or duff rad cap, if it aint full then you got a leak elsewhere in the system
              MIne did this a while back. i.e only overheating under load , or working her hard !

Turned out after preassure testing the rad and changing the thermostat ,seemed to be the viscous fan. Changed it , and had no problems since.

May have been a combination of the lot though. Hope you get it sorted.
              http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

Hi all thanks for the replies will check out all the area's mentioned. Tempretures down here around 31c during the day, car doing about 30 mile a day with no problems, temp gauge sitting at normal as though it is just waiting for me to take my eye off it. Does not seem to have lost any more water but will change the stat and rad cap as a matter of course if we get back ok.

Have decided to drive back to ferry overnight so it will be cooler and we will carry plenty of water. Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will check back in on Sunday night.

Despite all the above I am still 100% enthusiastic about my Surf and to be fair she did get us here safely.

Malcolm
                Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Working...
                X