what to look for with the 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to look for with the 2.4

ay up there fellas hows it going? i've just joined as am about to get a 2.4 td import and i was wondering if there's anything i should look out for and any tips? i've read soome of the other mail on here n i would prefer a 3.0 but the insurance companys aren't happy about it ha ha ha. any tips on the 2.4 would be brill thanks
    there are other worlds than these

Welcome to the forum.

I've got a 2.4, and I'm very happy with it. The main thing with the 2.4s is that there seems to be a roughly 1 in 5 chance of the head going. So either budget for a new modified head sometime in the future (around £1000 fitted from a couple of the guys on here) or look for one that has already had it done. Ideally, make sure that it is modified and not just a new original head.

Other than that, just the same as with any car. Check everything works, look for any signs of abuse (they're tough and will take a lot ). After that just drive around with the newly fitted grin.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

cheers for that mate. i noticed from the pick that you take yours off road abit. what they like off road? only ever had saloon car so never really tried it b4 but it looks fun. is there any clubs that do it?

Comment

Yup, I do, as do many of the people here. They're very good off road, and can hold their own against D*scoveries and the like. We quite often organise off-road meets in the North West. Just keep an eye out in the 'Off Road - Green Lane/Expeditions' forum. We have a couple of trips out in the coming months and you're more than welcome to tag along. Take a look at the 'Haslingden Moor', and 'North Wales Weekend' threads. There will be plenty of people to show you the ropes.
        Last edited by Slugsie; 10 July 2005, 12:22.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

sounds good, what are they, one day events or grab a tent n a sleeping bag for the weekend kind of thing?
          al so i have been having a proper look through this site now and i take it that these machines need alot of looking after? i mean with oil changes every couple of thousand miles n that or am i reading it wrong? lol. what sort of pampering can i expect to dish out on a 2.4?
          looking at the gallery i don't think it matters because it just looks too much fun, i'll have to buy 1 now
          Last edited by surfing_bish; 10 July 2005, 14:36.

Comment

They don't need that much looking after, Oil and filter change every 6000 mls or so, filter kit for a 2.4 is £12.50 + vat from Millners and oil for £10 or so.

Apart from that just the normal maintainance you would expect from any car.

Remember it's a Toyota and it's built like a tank !

Andy.

Comment

cheers for that. am interested in getting involved with the off road side of things but i've never attempted it. any suggestions for events or places where i can pick up a few tips and tricks? or any places in the north west where there's a nice easy green lane that even a complete novince can drive? any help would be great. cheers

Comment

well i went looking at some cars on friday and i ended up putting a deposit on a fresh import so should have it by wednesday as soon as it has a uk reg. its a 2.4 ssrx. a couple of questions though
                1 whats the small mirror on t front left for
                2 whats the idle increase for
                3 is it a timing belt or chain n when should it be changed
                just a couple of things thats been bugging me. any answers would be brill.

Comment

the mirrors for finding the kerb when parking, or seeing the expression on the face of the anti 4x4protester as you run em over
                  idle increase is for when jump starting other cars, using winch etc..
                  its a timing belt, change at 100k miles, or when your bottle goes

welcome along, have fun and check out the search button!
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                    its a timing belt, change at 100k miles, or when your bottle goes

it's 100,000km... 60,000miles
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                      it's 100,000km... 60,000miles
                      erm yeah thats what i meant, pesky imperial keyboards... sorry!
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                        erm yeah thats what i meant, pesky imperial keyboards... sorry!
                        we'll be ok till they start sellintg beer in 500ml cans!

D'OH!
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                          we'll be ok till they start sellintg beer in 500ml cans!

D'OH!
                          they play havoc with my imperials...
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

For peace of mind change the timing belt now, regardless of the recorded mileage. Also read up on the cooling system, make sure the fans, radiator etc are fully functonal.

Pete

Comment

cheers lads. what would i be looking at paying for the cam belt? anything else i should change whilst i've got it? already looking to get a full service done on it and maybe a air con service if i can be bothered, don't see the point in air con, well there's a heater and window what more do you need?

Comment

Working...
                              X