3rd Generation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Generation.

Having had my second gen for nearly two years now at some time in future will want newer Surf, although at present mine is running perfectly and looks good. Problem is Tailgate. Having two Wolfhounds, the tailgate at present is perfect. Spare wheel underneath and window winds down. Dogs love it, sitting with heads out the back, sniffing the veg oil fumes. I'm sure they eat more now!
    How can i buy 3rd gen, if as i believe Tailgate is different. Would Tailgate from 2nd gen fit 3rd??

Rgds to everyone,
    Philip
    Still Searching,
    Dick Whittington

Back window opens the same as 2nd gen, and having a lift up is no more problem, my lab jumps in easier than with the drop down, have to lift the rotti in anyway she has a bad leg.

Fitting a 2nd gen tailgate would be hell of a job.

Comment

Thanks Andy

Didn't know window wound down same as 2nd gen.
      Philip
      Still Searching,
      Dick Whittington

Comment

You can also get them with or without tailgate mounted spare.....see Fish's Surf

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
          Having had my second gen for nearly two years now at some time in future will want newer Surf, although at present mine is running perfectly and looks good. Problem is Tailgate. Having two Wolfhounds, the tailgate at present is perfect. Spare wheel underneath and window winds down. Dogs love it, sitting with heads out the back, sniffing the veg oil fumes. I'm sure they eat more now!
          How can i buy 3rd gen, if as i believe Tailgate is different. Would Tailgate from 2nd gen fit 3rd??

Rgds to everyone,
          Philip
          Window winds down the same as 2nd gen, I actually prefer the 3rd gen tailgate as you only have to pull the handle and lift it up. No p***ing around winding the window down.
          Also the tailgate makes a nice rain cover when changing wellies etc.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W
            Window winds down the same as 2nd gen, I actually prefer the 3rd gen tailgate as you only have to pull the handle and lift it up. No p***ing around winding the window down.
            Also the tailgate makes a nice rain cover when changing wellies etc.

Andy
            Yep I agree the 3rd gen tailgate is much better. Even my short@ssed dog (or rather short-legged) can jump in no problem, and it's easier to push yer shopping & pram up to the rear seat

Comment

but will it take an 8 by 4 sheet of ply?
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Problem I'd have would be getting the dogs out somewhere busy if on leads... with the flap down 2nd gen tailgate you wind down window, put on leads then open flap down and they jump our. With a lift up back they could squeeze out before you can pass the lead from the window to beneath the door.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

besides 3 rd gen surfs look flabby....
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                    Problem I'd have would be getting the dogs out somewhere busy if on leads... with the flap down 2nd gen tailgate you wind down window, put on leads then open flap down and they jump our. With a lift up back they could squeeze out before you can pass the lead from the window to beneath the door.

Know what you mean. I've had Sam's dogs in both my Surfs - it's definitly easier with a fold down tailgate.
                    Although I prefer the 3rd gen tailgate for everything else

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                      Know what you mean. I've had Sam's dogs in both my Surfs - it's definitly easier with a fold down tailgate.
                      Although I prefer the 3rd gen tailgate for everything else
                      English Setter and Jack Russell, if you want a little and large comparrison...
                      Jack Russell loves the manual gearbox of the first gen, Setter prefers the spacious back seats of the third gen.....
                      They aint used to motor car transport which causes its own problems but inspite of the fear of slamming a paw or tail in the fold down tail gate i do prefer it for the simple sake of being able to grab the leads. They can run out 'under' you from the third gen, but equally where you regulaly transport dogs you can train them not to, provided your dogs came with a brain installed, mine seem to be lacking in that department....
                      www.thegamingunion.co.uk

Comment

Get rid of them and get two obedient Labs, sorry what am I talking about obedient and Lab dont go in the same sentence.

I can get mine to stay in the back when I open the tailgate, just as long as there are no other dogs about.

Comment

Originally posted by sam
                          English Setter and Jack Russell, if you want a little and large comparrison...
                          [removed by Snippomatic (TM)]
                          ... provided your dogs came with a brain installed, mine seem to be lacking in that department....
                          Sheesh - the man has a setter and a Jack Russell and is SURPRISED that they have no brain?

I used to have a beagle like that - no apparent brain whatsoever.

Mind you, he could display an awful lot of low cunning where food was concerned

Oh, and hi everyone!
                          Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                            Get rid of them and get two obedient Labs, sorry what am I talking about obedient and Lab dont go in the same sentence.

I can get mine to stay in the back when I open the tailgate, just as long as there are no other dogs about.
                            Actually they are very obedient and will usually stay in the back all day long with the tailgate down. BUT the time they decide they are excited and wont wait will be the day I'm in tiown with lots of traffic... etc etc. Still not convinced.
                            Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Howabout wound down window, put on leads, then open tailgate?

Comment

Working...
                              X