Welding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding?

What precautions do you need to take before you start stick welding onto the chassis (apart from disconnecting the batteries)? I'm looking to weld a new rear bumper directly onto my tow bar assembly and was worried that I could fry everything.

Can anybody help?
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

I presume it would be sensible to also disconnect/remove the ECU as well... Nothing else really sensitive to spikes... that I can think of...

Comment

Like you said disconnect the battery, that'll isolate everything, keep the earth clamp close to where your working also helps to minimise the risk of frying anything expensive.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Also make sure you have a fire extinguisher and a wet rag handy. It's amazing how quickly oil residue and dirt can ignite if you aren't careful - plus yours is a UK runner so probably some nice flamable underseal on it (mind you I remember the rust under it so maybe not too much underseal

Cheers

Comment

Cheeky b@st@rd! At least mine actually gets offroad AND I don't get the wife's hairdryer out and blow-dry mine if it get's caught in the rain!

Otherwise thanks for the advice! Lucky, the spare wheel carrier is holding up well and even demolished the side of a Mitsubishi twin cab I reversed into the other day!

Apart from the rear bumper I am looking to fit a swing out jerry can holder on the other side - same principle as the other with a triangular reinforcing plate this time.

We are off camping in the Maasai Mara in two weeks time (to see the Wildebeast Migration) so I'll try and pester the Big Cat Diary crew so look out for the Bundubasher in the background over the next few months!
          @africa4x4cafe
          [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X