Cleaning windows....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning windows....

Anyone got any recommendations on cleaning the windows on a surf where they seem to have sap baked on them?

I've tried razor blades, polish/wax and though they seem to have removed the sap from the windows (they no longer feel rough to the touch), the stains can still be seen.....

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Rob

You could try a 'Granny' remedy........cut a lemon in half and rub that over the stains.......

Comment

neat traffic film remover is a good help but dont leave it on too long it has a weak acid in it to cut through the grime
      Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

its the citric acid in the lemon that cuts through the muck........dilute vinegar(acid) sometimes works for the same reason.

Comment

Try a glass polish. Autoglym Car Glass Polish is good.

Comment

Originally posted by robinbooth
            Anyone got any recommendations on cleaning the windows on a surf where they seem to have sap baked on them?

I've tried razor blades, polish/wax and though they seem to have removed the sap from the windows (they no longer feel rough to the touch), the stains can still be seen.....

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Rob
            My Dad used to swear by a foul mixture of equal parts meths, vinegar and water.
            It was always very effective. Dirt and stains just can't stand the smell.
            Recommended for exterior use only!!!
            Keith

Comment

As everyone says use lemon or viniger because of the acidic properties.
              Also clean it with scrunched up newspaper, this will stop it smearing, simple but very effective. My Nan taught me that one.

Andy.

Comment

Just thought on.... UPVC solvent cleaner, we in the window trade use it to clean upvc frames but it works fantastic on glass, be very careful with it tho, it stinks ! use in a well ventilated area and put yer fag out it's very flamable.It contains acetone, they also used to use it in a sealed unit factory where I used to work.
                £3.50 a litre from any window wholesaler.
                It's also very good for getting the sticky stuff off when you peel window tints and stickers off, also melts tarmac if you spill it !! use with caution.

Andy.

Comment

ta

Thanks for the info. I'll give the Lemon and vinegar a try.

Tried Autoglym glass polish which didn't work.

Cheers,

Rob.

Comment

I have used cellulose thinners to clean the glass, then the Autoglym glass polish to finish. Marvelous results.

Comment

Originally posted by bobafatass
                      Just thought on.... UPVC solvent cleaner, we in the window trade use it to clean upvc frames but it works fantastic on glass, be very careful with it tho, it stinks ! use in a well ventilated area and put yer fag out it's very flamable.It contains acetone, they also used to use it in a sealed unit factory where I used to work.
                      £3.50 a litre from any window wholesaler.
                      It's also very good for getting the sticky stuff off when you peel window tints and stickers off, also melts tarmac if you spill it !! use with caution.

Andy.

Is it called 'Stelmax'? 'cos I have some of this and it smells looooooooovvvvvvveeeeerrrrrlll llyyyy!

Comment

oi fatass!

did you ever pour water on the dessicant for sealed units?

it boils instantly!...
                        really hurt the apprentices hands when we put a pile of dessicant in his hands and poured a cup of water on!... oops!
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

really hurt the apprentices hands when we put a pile of dessicant in his hands and poured a cup of water on!... oops![/QUOTE]

We used to hoist em up on the overhead cranes ! , I think they got away lightly.

Andy.

Comment

Working...
                          X