Insurance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance question

I have just bought a new truck a 3 litre ssr-x v6. I phoned up my current insurers and amended the policy and uninsured my old 2.4.

Now I have the covernote through and it says that my new v6 is only insured for £2500, the price that I paid for it. even tho I have just kitted it out with new rubber ,upgraded suspention and springs etc.

I had to pay an extra £50 to insure it and it is now insured for less than my old 2.4 which was insured for £3500.

So as I see it , I have a newer more valuable car, pay more for the insurance and if anything happens to it, I won't be able to buy an equivilant car with the payout because it's only insured for a fraction of the value.

I phoned the insurers and asked and they say that because I was honest and told them how much I payed for it when they asked me then that's all it can be insured for.
    So I asked if was given the car for free then it would be insured for nothing!

Is this right ? or are they pulling my leg ? if so lifesure can stick it and I'll go somewhere else.

Typical, you play by the book and be honest and all you get is ripped off

Andy.

Depending on your Insurance policy it should say 'in evet of an uneconomical repair a financial remburcment of vehicle market value at time of loss will be made' or words similar . When Insuring a vehicle the value asked is irrelevent as market value at time of loss is used (most of the time) . I never give the value I pay for any of my vehicles I have owned or just make a figure up which is a bit higher then I paid. The cost of the policy is not based on the value you pay for the vehicle .You need to check the policy statements to verify this , most people do not .

When I deal with a total loss , I check to see how much the Insured has put as value and see if I can work to that figure . I settle most claims that way . You do get the silly ones which want 5 times the vehicle value , but I deal with them a different way .
    If you had won the vehicle or been left it in a will they must give you market value .

In law you should not gain or loose by the claim . Sometimes it just means you have to see what happens in the event of a claim and vehilce is lost (not usually when vehicle is just purchased ) . Any mods or servicing to maintain vehicle do not always add value .
    Mods can , and have, devalued vehicles in the past .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
      Depending on your Insurance policy it should say 'in evet of an uneconomical repair a financial remburcment of vehicle market value at time of loss will be made' or words similar . When Insuring a vehicle the value asked is irrelevent as market value at time of loss is used (most of the time) . I never give the value I pay for any of my vehicles I have owned or just make a figure up which is a bit higher then I paid. The cost of the policy is not based on the value you pay for the vehicle .You need to check the policy statements to verify this , most people do not .

When I deal with a total loss , I check to see how much the Insured has put as value and see if I can work to that figure . I settle most claims that way . You do get the silly ones which want 5 times the vehicle value , but I deal with them a different way .
      If you had won the vehicle or been left it in a will they must give you market value .

In law you should not gain or loose by the claim . Sometimes it just means you have to see what happens in the event of a claim and vehilce is lost (not usually when vehicle is just purchased ) . Any mods or servicing to maintain vehicle do not always add value .
      Mods can , and have, devalued vehicles in the past .

Thanks Rick,

I feel a little more at ease now.
      I don't think I'll be devalueing it much, well that's untill I go offroad with Danno again

Andy.

Comment

Working...
      X