Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wich Roof Rack?

Hello Everybody,

I want a roof rack to carry a Kayak, does anyone know which one is best, where to get one from and how much?

Thanks,

Rob.
    I like Orientals

hi mate got mine from halfords ,its a paddy hopkirk ,i think the rack was about £48 and the mounting brackets where£15 it works fine for me ,i carry three bikes on it ,some others are a bit fancier looking but also twice the cost

Comment

thule is the best, and they do some cool canoe carriers too..
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Thule is best

Have to agree with Chillit, there are plenty of cheaper brands which may be better if you don't have a big load but the best for strength I've found is Thule, I've been kayaking for 10 years plus loading all kinds of boats on the roof of various cars, not seen any better than thule. Thule lists one for the 4 runner which fits great. You can get them from halfords or the web, try www.roofbox.co.uk Although depending on the type of canoe you may find it fits in the back of a surf
        Darren
        Last edited by Darren; 23 June 2005, 13:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
          Have to agree with Chillit, there are plenty of cheaper brands which may be better if you don't have a big load but the best for strength I've found is Thule, I've been kayaking for 10 years plus loading all kinds of boats on the roof of various cars, not seen any better than thule. Thule lists one for the 4 runner which fits great. You can get them from halfords or the web, try www.roofbox.co.uk Although depending on the type of canoe you may find it fits in the back of a surf
          Darren
          Thanks for the link, I need a roof rack, unless I strap my 3 Kids to the roof, but I don't think they will be too happy.
          I like Orientals

Comment

IN THIS HEAT IT MAY BE THE BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE

Comment

I have been looking at putting an exped rack on mine but was looking at putting it the rear of the roof rather than above the front doors and sunroof. I have just come back from touring Cornwall on my motorbike and saw a few surfs with racks like this but they were normally going in the other direction although I noticed they seemed to use the rear window housing anyone help me out with this??

Cheers
              Pat
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Never underestimate the power of idiiots in large groups!![/FONT]

Comment

Get some roof rails from www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.com that bolt through the roof from above. Alternatively you can get some from the US (can't remember the place although I have posted it here before).

Even better, see if you can find a Jeep Cherokee at a scrap yard and get the roof rails off that, they fit or so I have seen somewhere. Just need to get some fit from above captive nuts from www.frost.co.uk.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X