Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fading battery...

Hey, long time no see...
    My girl has been sitting in the garage for a few weeks unloved and undriven and the battery was almost completely flat when I tried to start her this morning. Has this damaged the battery at all or will it completely recover with a jump and a good long drive?
    There are only 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Originally posted by ruprecht
    Hey, long time no see...
    My girl has been sitting in the garage for a few weeks unloved and undriven and the battery was almost completely flat when I tried to start her this morning. Has this damaged the battery at all or will it completely recover with a jump and a good long drive?
    I think your girl will be fine after a good jump,
    Keith
    I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

Originally posted by hormygollop
      I think your girl will be fine after a good jump,
      Keith
      paints i weird picture in my mind !!!!!!!!!!!!!

jumping a surf BIG BOY
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

Hey, long time no see...
        A Normal Reply from me for once

I would Very Strongly advise you to put your battery on charge for 48 Hours, with the weather we are having and no doubt you will be using lights, heater etc etc the battery will not get a full charge even from a long run........

Had that before on many vehicles as I worked for a Recovery Company that had "LOADS" of call outs from people with a flat battery, Jump started it drove 70 - 80 miles, stopped, got back in an hour later and the battery is dead

Check the Levels and put it on charge.........You will/might regret it otherwise

Cor..Glad I got that over with
        Don't like being "Normal"
        NEVER REGRET THE THINGS YOU HAVE DONE...REGRET THE THINGS YOU HAVEN'T

Comment

Hey, long time no see...
          Had the same with mine when I came back off holiday. How long do you call a few weeks? if it was only 2-3 weeks, you will probably be needing new battery soon. The winter will find it out for you!! I had mine checked and 1 battery was a slight duffer, so I got new before it let me down.There's no way of knowing how long the batteries have been on the vehicles, some probably from new.
          Pete

Comment

Hiya,
            I went to Halfords and got me a battery charger. Unfortunately there's no power point in my parking garage, so I had to take one of the ****** batteries out and lug it up the stairs. I had the battery on charge for about 8 hours and it was very hot, so I wasn't keen to leave it overnight in case it blew up or melted or something. So, I gave it another 8 hours the next day. Sho' nuff, it started beautifully and we had a goodish run (about 200 miles) but after sitting idle for 3 days it was shagged again and only barely turned over. Is the battery fecked? I've checked the levels and they're fine.
            There are only 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

You only get 4 to 5 yrs normally out of a battery.

If leaving a battery in a vehicle for a long period of time, disconnect the negative cable.

The longer you leave it discharged, the more unable it becomes to be recharged due to lead sulfate damaging the plates.

Comment

Batteries don't usually go flat after only a fews weeks of storage (unless you have something draining it that much, obviously). They don't usually get 'very hot' either when charging, unless you are charging it at the wrong rate (doubt it tho). If all the levels are correct then that only leaves one option: buy a new battery!
                If you're storing a vehicle for more than a month or two, disconnect the battery as Jim said.

Cheers
                Rob

Comment

i replaced both of mine for £70 from celtic batteries in treharris (note the twin batteries are left and right handed. i.e the terminals are opposite to each other)
                  [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Any decent Battery Centre will test your battery for free and tell you honestly, if you need a new one.

I have noticed that mine has started falter the last few weeks, off to get it tested tomorrow.

Comment

Before buying new, try the following.

Check the levels of battery acid and top up if neccessary, get some Bat Aid pills from Halfords and put two in each cell. Charge the battery and take the motor for a good run - at least 10 miles of mixed driving.

Did this on mine when the batteries were on the way out and they are fine now.

Cheers

Comment

If you are feeling flush espcially after xmas, why not buy one of these intelligent chargers ie a optimate if you are going to leave the vehicle in a garage for any time. I paid £70 for mine and i leave 3 100amp gel batteries on permanant charge for back up and also for when i want to play radio in a field. These chargers will do all types of 12/24v batteries so no need to worry about overcharging plus if the fan is still running after two days of charging you know the battery is SNAFU
                        Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Working...
                        X