3rd Gen SVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen SVA

Just in the process of importing a 3rd gen and am confused over the SVA. Have done a thread search and found a few pointers.
    Import agent is indicating only
    - add fog light
    - change speedo face
    hahahaha easy peasy I thunk

Now it seems theres a whole heap extra

- remove the rear wheel carrier and fill holes with grommets (assume this is in bodywork?). This must be able to be replaced after SVA?
    - remove bumper guards/bull bars and fill holes, again assume this can go back on?
    - remove small reversing mirror - now this is getting stupid!
    - tie up all electrics every 30cm or so - huh? can understand for wiring to fog light but existing looms??
    - fit reflectors on rear bumper - my 2nd gen don't have these?? Easy to rectify though
    - SVA centres even picky over position of fog light switch on dash---come on get a life!
    - make sure no sharp edges on doors, lights, front fogs, etc. Like if your gonna scrape a knuckle polishing it...

I'm getting kind of confused now (easily done though)

Can any one help with a recent experienceof SVA...I'm bringing in a '96 SSR-X with rear carrier and front bumper guards. Oh and it's going through the Aberdeen centre - probably not that many surfs pass their way

Scuddy
    ------------------------------------
    Look out! Ee

Yes I can confirm that mine had to have the spare wheel carrier removed, it seems that the hinges protrude too much. Also the little front mirror has to be removed, even stranger considering that it is requred by Japanese laws. Also the electrics fit as all my extras were removed and tossed into the rear along with the spare wheel. Stick on reflectors are fitted to my back bumper. I was also told that the wind deflectors that were on my 4runner trade in would not pass an SVA as the edges were too sharp. So all in all what you have been told seems to be correct.

Oh by the way, yes everything can go back on afterwards as they do not affect MOT criteria.
    Last edited by InfraRed; 22 June 2005, 00:39.
    [U]Cheers Ian[/U]

Comment

Cheers Ian

Did you stick the offending articles back on after test...you must have as there's heaps of 3rd gens with carriers and front guards on the UK roads and all have the reversing mirror???
      Look out! Ee

Comment

Sorry just edited original post, but yes everything is back on including illegal chav lights etc.
        [U]Cheers Ian[/U]

Comment

nice one...hehehe chav lights...do they cast a burberry beam?? or 3 stripes
          Look out! Ee

Comment

Originally posted by Scuddy
            Just in the process of importing a 3rd gen and am confused over the SVA. Have done a thread search and found a few pointers.
            Import agent is indicating only
            - add fog light
            - change speedo face
            hahahaha easy peasy I thunk

Now it seems theres a whole heap extra

- remove the rear wheel carrier and fill holes with grommets (assume this is in bodywork?). This must be able to be replaced after SVA?
            - remove bumper guards/bull bars and fill holes, again assume this can go back on?
            - remove small reversing mirror - now this is getting stupid!
            - tie up all electrics every 30cm or so - huh? can understand for wiring to fog light but existing looms??
            - fit reflectors on rear bumper - my 2nd gen don't have these?? Easy to rectify though
            - SVA centres even picky over position of fog light switch on dash---come on get a life!
            - make sure no sharp edges on doors, lights, front fogs, etc. Like if your gonna scrape a knuckle polishing it...

I'm getting kind of confused now (easily done though)

Can any one help with a recent experienceof SVA...I'm bringing in a '96 SSR-X with rear carrier and front bumper guards. Oh and it's going through the Aberdeen centre - probably not that many surfs pass their way

Scuddy
            I think you will also need a model report, before you can even consider the sva, if your car is registered in 1996 you will only need the steering report which costs £50+vat. If its registered from 1997 onwards then you have to get a model report aswell, which costs an extra £250+vat.

The whole sva is a pathetic waste of time!

I couldn't be bothered with all the hassle, so I paid someone £250 to prepare the car for an sva and guarantee that it passed.

Sure enough the car passed and I don't think the items that needed to be removed were removed. Obviously it depends on the tester, most realise that no sooner as the certificate has been issued, all the gizmo's will be refitted!.
            [IMG][URL=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/s

Comment

Working...
            X