France - no other hiluxs but plenty of stares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France - no other hiluxs but plenty of stares

Just got back from a week driving 'Gordon', our Hilux 2.4 TD, around France.

Great fun, even if the aerial mysteriously buckled mid-trip and the air-conditioning unit sprang a leak - I am cursed with our beloved beast.

Surprisingly, spotted NO other Hilux's the whole trip except on the ferry going over. Do the French not get Hiluxs? Every town and city we went to people stopped and stared and kids pointed.

Perhaps just my erratic driving?

Rob

Originally posted by hiluxnewbie
    Just got back from a week driving 'Gordon', our Hilux 2.4 TD, around France.

Great fun, even if the aerial mysteriously buckled mid-trip and the air-conditioning unit sprang a leak - I am cursed with our beloved beast.

Surprisingly, spotted NO other Hilux's the whole trip except on the ferry going over. Do the French not get Hiluxs? Every town and city we went to people stopped and stared and kids pointed.

Perhaps just my erratic driving?

Rob

got back from Holland on sunday after 6 days holiday over there never seen a surf either.

ship

Comment

When I go to Belgium on the ciggy run I see a few about, and also a couple of French ones, I'm sure they had the 4-Runner at some time.

Comment

I saw a blue ssrx in Guernsey this morning. Dented rear quater pannel.
        Near France I guess and therefore only nearly relivant to this thread......
        Sorry
        Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

I've seen loads in Wales.

does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by ship
            got back from Holland on sunday after 6 days holiday over there never seen a surf either.

ship
            Ours is over here for the time being.

Seen a dutch plated one parked in KLM's area at Schiphol Airport a few weeks ago.

Comment

There is a reason why!

You can only import a vehicle into France that is listed as an official import into the EEC, and even then it has to meet the French vehicle regs.

The Surf was never sold in the EU so it would be very difficult to convince the vehicle examiner that it was the same as 4Runner. There is also all of the paperwork etc to be completed and unless someone is very fluent and knows their way around the system, they would have a hard job completing the process.

I take mine over as I have a place over there, well a pile of stones anyway, and can't recall ever seeing one to wave to!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Saw a nice burgandy one in gurnsey last night, on my way from airport to st sampsons marina.
                Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

Working...
                X