new exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new exhaust

Well it’s finally happened – the rear pipe on the exhaust has split, I’ve done a search on exhausts etc (and as usual found loads of posts and my eyes are hurting from reading them all) but has anyone found a decently priced replacement for a 2.4 TD (93 model).
    Straight bolt-on is better rather than having to mess around with it.
    My local exhaust place are having probs finding a replacement and I'm now wondering if I should look at stainless and then when the fron goes, change that to stainless too. (and I've gotta hide the price from the wife or I'm in soooo much trouble so the cheaper the better too)

I think I only need the end bit and as this is the first time to replace it on the Surf any advice greatly appreciated – along with bits of free exhausts too lol
    Attached Files
    Dave

Draig,

Nine went in the same place, patched it with FireGum and sent it for its MOT 2 weeks ago, the guy put a bit more on and passed it!

I just took a look and it seems to be holding well, no leakage and a very cheap option, at least till you source what you want.

Rob.
    Rob & Miranda

Surfing on the south coast

Comment

Firegum is my friend too lol - that and a bandage lol. I get so much grief off the misses when I have to buy things for the Surf - good job I'm used to it lol
      Dave

Comment

-Mine has gone at the same place, but I`ve only got half the pipe there now, as the bottom half has fallen off completely.

I`ll be waiting till near the MOT and will get Milners tail section, which is around £140.

Comment

Ha!!!

That's nothing!! Mine went about 1/3rd of the way round, and then the whole rear section got knocked off on an off roading session...

The back bit's still in my garage at the moment... I know it'll need doing for the MOT, but that's a few months off yet..

What I'd like, as mine is actually in two separate pieces, is a bit of 2 inch flexible pipe, to join the two bits back together, and give a bit of support. The sort that you used to see on exhaust manifolds, to get the heat somewhere else. Anyone now where I might be able to get some?
          It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
            Ha!!!

That's nothing!! Mine went about 1/3rd of the way round, and then the whole rear section got knocked off on an off roading session...

The back bit's still in my garage at the moment... I know it'll need doing for the MOT, but that's a few months off yet..

What I'd like, as mine is actually in two separate pieces, is a bit of 2 inch flexible pipe, to join the two bits back together, and give a bit of support. The sort that you used to see on exhaust manifolds, to get the heat somewhere else. Anyone now where I might be able to get some?

I got some flexible exhaust section from www.gwentautofactors.co.uk in Pontypool once. I think it was about £12 for a one metre length.
            I know it's a bit far from Gloucester, you may have some luck in a similar place nearer you.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
              Ha!!!

As I say, mine is just half the exhaust for about 3 feet, god knows how its still there and not fallen off completely.

I like this idea of the flexy section. Wil lit just be a case of cutting the exhaust back to the good bits then attaching the flexy section to both bits to complete the exhaust ?

The very end tail bit of my exhaust is fine and the back box looks as new, its juts a bit where the exhaust bends from the back box to the exit. £12 for a 1 metre section sounds far better than £130

Comment

also handy for getting the exhaust tucked away down the side a bit...
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

[QUOTE=Verbal]As I say, mine is just half the exhaust for about 3 feet, god knows how its still there and not fallen off completely.

I like this idea of the flexy section. Wil lit just be a case of cutting the exhaust back to the good bits then attaching the flexy section to both bits to complete the exhaust?

I used flexy on my XR4i a few years back. I made an E-type Jag style exhaust, 'cos it was a V6, nice.
                  Anyway, I made sure the exhaust went into the flexy a good six inches, smothered in jointing paste. It worked 'cos the m.o.t. man passed it o.k.

p.s. Sounded awsome too.

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal
                    I like this idea of the flexy section. Wil lit just be a case of cutting the exhaust back to the good bits then attaching the flexy section to both bits to complete the exhaust ?
                    That's what I think. It's just getting hold of the flexi bit that's the problem!!
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

Mine's a Milner! Easy to fit and good price. I notice your LSPV line has a bend in it - this will help when fitting the exhaust - mine is straight and made it a bit tricky.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7359

Mark
                      :

Comment

just had a quote for a stainless steel one from the downpipe backwards for £350! they reckon the downpipe wont need changing for years!
                        Dave

Comment

new exhaust

Hi mate, mines gone in the same place too, and my surf is the same age is yours!
                          As for spares its either Milners at about £115 or the "bandage and gum job" (which is my preferred option by the way)
                          let us know if you find anything cheaper
                          Last edited by sticks; 16 June 2005, 20:13.

Comment

Give these people a ring http://www.cesuk.com/CES%20Components.htm
                            You will need to give them your chassis number, but they will be cheaper.

Comment

cheers Andy - will try them later today. let you all know what turns up cheapest
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X