Introduction from a first time buyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction from a first time buyer

Just thought I start my time here by saying hi to everyone!

I'm currently looking to get a Surf for £5000 ish and trade in my Mitsubishi GTO. Always liked the look of the surf and decided to go for it after some recent Hilux driving in Africa, so here I am.

I gather the only thing to watch out for when buying is the 2.4 if the head hasn't been done recently. Any other pointers would be welcome, will probably be looking for the next week or so

Hope to see you all around the boards...
    [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

Probably the same advice as per buying any big 14 year old car, check it all works, then check it again.
    Remember the 4wd system has no centre diff, so only for use on loose/slippery surfaces, but to check at the dealer, drive in straight line and try it out.

Other than that use the search thread feature to find lots more specific advice.

Best of luck
    Gtdog
    Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtdog
      Probably the same advice as per buying any big 14 year old car, check it all works, then check it again.
      Haha, Good advice there. Also, interesting about the no centre diff. Hadn't realised that, so will try the straight line test you suggest.

I do plan to spend a great deal of time searching this forum between now and my purchase. Nice to see such and active place for this kind of info!

Comment

Hi there,

The FAQ on my site has some basic buying/checking info that may be of use, also check the faqs and stuff here too.

If you have a 5k budget I would deffo go for a 3.0 model - you should be able to get a peach for that. Having owned both the 2.4 and now the 3.0 (thanks to a dreaded head probs on my 2.4) I can safely say that the 3.0 is a much much better engine and so much nicer to drive (on and off road).

Shame you are getting rid of your GTO tho, aren't you going to miss the speed? I got the baby brother FTO as my daily driver (couldn't use the hilux for my daily journey, just not fast enough )
        No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

welcome aboard - enjoy yourself and your Surf but watch out for the big grin when you sit in it!
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
            Shame you are getting rid of your GTO tho, aren't you going to miss the speed?
            Well, I've had my GTO for a while now. I'm sure I'll miss it a huge amount but I've spent so much on it that it's silly. It's in really good nick since I've sorted everything out so time for someone else to have fun with it i reckon.

Great to hear I sould be able to get a nice 3.0, I don't think I'd touch the 2.4. I've been searching autotrader loads, but can't seem to find any blue or black 3.0's in my area... Ho hum... the waiting begins

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
              The FAQ on my site has some basic buying/checking info that may be of use
              Great FAQ BTW just what I needed. Going to print and take to viewings. Thanks!

Comment

welcome to the forum mate
                like Girls and Beer there are no bad Surfs
                just that some are better than others
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

Keep checking the 'Surfs for sale' thread as you may find one on there before you search around dealers . At leaset from the forum you know its been well looked after !
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Have you seen some of the pictures!
                    Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
                      Daaa wots the odd bit of MUD matter
                      Enjoying Life after Cancer
                      Pops

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
                        What about Matts truck? I hear his is in excellent nick
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

nowt wrong with mine!... just been properly used!... as the designer intended!...

Originally posted by dirtydog
                          What about Matts truck? I hear his is in excellent nick
                          Attached Files
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                          X