Repair or break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair or break?

Had a little prang in the surf the other day (long story involving going to rescue a friend who'd driven a battered old golf down a local track that most 4x4's turn away from...). Basically, reversed it into a tree that managed to be at just the right angle to miss the bumper and give a nice whack to the O/S light cluster and the panel above. It looks too dented to me to be beaten out (metal has creased), so I'm now considering my options -
    1) get it beaten out / filled / welded back together so it looks like it should
    2) break the surf and sell all the bits
    3) leave it as it is with my bodged lights-from-a-van-in-a-scrapyard-and-gaffer-tape repair as it's a good "war wound"!

From those that have broken - roughly how much would I stand to get from breaking a '89 2.4, manual, that's had a new head? (PM me if you'd rather).

Geoff.

PS Yes, it is really funny watching a golf being pulled backwards up a steep rocky track by a Landrover - especially when the exhaust meets a rock and decides to stop and chat whilst the rest of the car carries on....
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Smeg
    Had a little prang in the surf the other day (long story involving going to rescue a friend who'd driven a battered old golf down a local track that most 4x4's turn away from...). Basically, reversed it into a tree that managed to be at just the right angle to miss the bumper and give a nice whack to the O/S light cluster and the panel above. It looks too dented to me to be beaten out (metal has creased), so I'm now considering my options -
    3) leave it as it is with my bodged lights-from-a-van-in-a-scrapyard-and-gaffer-tape repair as it's a good "war wound"!

From those that have broken - roughly how much would I stand to get from breaking a '89 2.4, manual, that's had a new head? (PM me if you'd rather).

Geoff.

PS Yes, it is really funny watching a golf being pulled backwards up a steep rocky track by a Landrover - especially when the exhaust meets a rock and decides to stop and chat whilst the rest of the car carries on....
    Ouch Geoff,
    Needs a section let in . Maybe Tony or someone else will have part of a shell to supply the rear section of 1/4 panel . A good panel beater (very rare now ) could cut out the damaged part and let in the new bit in a day . Then repaint the complete panel . Maybe worth thinking about repair before scrapping .
    Only my opinion .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I would find a couple of body-shops local to you and ask for a quote to get it sorted. Don't go to a main dealer or an accident repair centre (nearly all of these sub-contract out to the local bodyshops anyway and simply charge you a lot more than it cost them).

Dunno how much you will get breaking it but its probably not that much - especially as there seem to be a lot being done recently so parts are not that hard to get hold of nowadays. Plus its a lot of hassle dealing with enquiries and and delivering parts etc. Do you really want to do it?
      No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

would certainly get a couple of quotes for repairs before writing the old girl off. it would at least give you a figure to bear in mind if you were looking to replace her, what about trying to find a truck with a dead engine? would always prefer to repair and keep a truck i know rather than sell it and buy another of uncertain history, unless its a bucket of bolts anyway!
        Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

i would leave it or get it repaired if you can, the time involved in breaking might not be worth it.
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by Smeg

Geoff.

Hi Mate l have had worst than yours repaired and as already said you might loose out on breaking.
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

repair

Geoff, there's a good body shop near us that doesn't overcharge, he did a bent surf front wing for me for £60 inc paint, give us a call if req'd.

Comment

cheers for the replies, you're making me think!

Stevo - I'll probably call you tomorrow, I live over in Wales now so popping over to see your chap isn't quite so easy!

I went to my local garage that I use out here and his opinion was it'd cost a bomb to get it repaired as it'll need (as vagrant said) a new section welding in, plus all the associated spraying, etc. Money's a bit tight at the mo' as well, so going to have to consider my options carefully!

thanks for the advice,

Geoff.

Comment

AAH just knock it out best you can and wear it with pride! i have more battle scares on mine that i can count now! gives it a certain rugged look.
                  mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Greebo
                    AAH just knock it out best you can and wear it with pride! i have more battle scares on mine that i can count now! gives it a certain rugged look.
                    better than any amount of spray on mud!
                    Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Working...
                    X