imported surf's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imported surf's

what are the chances of buying one that has been clocked and how could one tell if it has or not.
    just got a 2.4 td auto with 64000 on clock but found a sticker on the sun visor saying timing belt changed at 60000
    BUT the NEXT change part wasn't filled in ???
    jus a bit worried.
    Regards
    Kev.
    2.4 black beast

Originally posted by falconer
    what are the chances of buying one that has been clocked and how could one tell if it has or not.
    just got a 2.4 td auto with 64000 on clock but found a sticker on the sun visor saying timing belt changed at 60000
    jus a bit worried.
    Wouldn't worry mate. The Japanese don't seem to be a bunch of crooks like us lot, for instance you won't find any imports with alarms / imobilizers fitted as standard! Looks like someone replaced the cam belt early and saved you a job (especially on a 2.4, which is apparently a bit of a mare). Just forgot to put on the next change interval.

Rob

p.s. Don't think you could find out if it had been 'clocked'. Do you mean rewound? (You should have been given a copy of the Japanese de-registration doc - garage certainly should have this - they would have needed it to register the car. Otherwise, to clock it completely would mean that the surf had done more than a million miles - I'd be proud if mine if it had done that - also think that there'd be some pretty obvious wear and tear signs, and there'd be headlines in Japanese papers of the guy who'd literally driven himself to death! lol!
    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

try looking up BIMTA... they have info of mileages and will do a check for about a tenner.

p.s. i've just got rid of an R reg motor with well over a million miles on the clock!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

jus a bit worried.
        Thats OK, its when the changed mileage is more than whats on the clock you know its dodgy.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by nednil

p.s. Don't think you could find out if it had been 'clocked'. Do you mean rewound? (You should have been given a copy of the Japanese de-registration doc - garage certainly should have this - they would have needed it to register the car. Otherwise, to clock it completely would mean that the surf had done more than a million miles - I'd be proud if mine if it had done that - also think that there'd be some pretty obvious wear and tear signs, and there'd be headlines in Japanese papers of the guy who'd literally driven himself to death! lol!
          Yes
          i do mean rewound,also got irish plates on it and imobiliser fitted so it was in irland befor i got it wich was in bradford.
          had a m8 fitting a new electric areal as the other made horrid nois as it stuck 3/4 of the way up and he noticed screws missing from bottom of clocks but he said it could be innocent and prob just a bulb changed (still worried
          Attached Files
          Last edited by falconer; 12 June 2005, 20:10.
          Regards
          Kev.
          2.4 black beast

Comment

Yes
            i do mean rewound,also got irish plates on it and imobiliser fitted so it was in irland befor i got it wich was in bradford.
            had a m8 fitting a new electric areal as the other made horrid nois as it stuck 3/4 of the way up and he noticed screws missing from bottom of clocks but he said it could be innocent and prob just a bulb changed (still worried
            If the speedo is in MPH then they'd have had to have taken the clock out for that.

Wouldn't worry about it m8. Engine will do a couple hundred thousand miles if it's looked after. Can't see why they'd bother either, doesn't make that much difference to price.

Rob
            Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

irish or northern irish plates?... could be that previous owner put on NI plates to hide the year letter so it doesn't look so old?

(NI would be same colour as over here but 3 letters and 4 numbers e.g. DLZ 5555 - EIRE plates have the year, town, and then 4 numbers e.g. 94 WX 5555 and they're white)
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                irish or northern irish plates?... could be that previous owner put on NI plates to hide the year letter so it doesn't look so old?

(NI would be same colour as over here but 3 letters and 4 numbers e.g. DLZ 5555 - EIRE plates have the year, town, and then 4 numbers e.g. 94 WX 5555 and they're white)
                correct m8 3 letters and 4 numbers and in white
                1992 (k) plate according to log book.
                Regards
                Kev.
                2.4 black beast

Comment

Originally posted by nednil
                  If the speedo is in MPH then they'd have had to have taken the clock out for that.

Wouldn't worry about it m8. Engine will do a couple hundred thousand miles if it's looked after. Can't see why they'd bother either, doesn't make that much difference to price.

Rob
                  I do hope you are right m8, as i can't afford to buy a new engine if the belt does snap.
                  Regards
                  Kev.
                  2.4 black beast

Comment

I do hope you are right m8, as i can't afford to buy a new engine if the belt does snap.
                    Have it changed now if you're worried. Not the biggest job in the world, though trickier on a 2.4 than a 3.0.
                    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

only way to get total peace of mind is to change it anyway, £23 from milners or roughtrax for genuine toyota belt, couple of £,s more for the tensioner spring, then labour costs or DIY, seem to remember a walkthrough on here for this job on a 2.4.

ship

Comment

Working...
                      X