Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT Broadband

Hi,

I've just got BT Broadband. Can anyone tell me why it goes off and I have to keep connecting it again.

Jacqueline

How do you connect Jax (a modem, or a network style route/modem combination)?

What sort of frequency do the drop outs occur ?

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by jax
      Hi,

I've just got BT Broadband. Can anyone tell me why it goes off and I have to keep connecting it again.

Jacqueline
      More background info is needed,

There are a number of lines of investigation you could try:

1) Phone line test
      Dial 175 and wait for "Start Test" message (about 30 sec wait)
      Replace handset.
      Rings

2) Disconnect while idle
      Did the disconnect happen when you were actively surfing or when you left the pc alone?
      If the machine was idle then check your system settings:
      Go to your Control Panel, Internet options, Connections, Settings, Advanced:
      Remove the ticks from both of the 'Disconnect if Idle for...' boxes

3) What is the most recent thing you have either downloaded or installed on you PC?
      Try uninstalling it

4) I have read that BT Call Minder has on occasion caused broadband connection issues

Isn't IT great!

Comment

Jax

That happened to me when I first had it installed and I discovered the engineer had connected it to dial up part of the line - not broadband - friend came and reconfigured it on the PC and is all ok now. I also installed a router to keep the connection constantly live.

They just doubled the speed of mine line too - and it went without a hitch!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Some ISP's do have automatic disconnection after 2 hours -is BT one of them?
          [COLOR=Red][FONT=Century Gothic]the unexamined life is not worth living...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Robb.
            Some ISP's do have automatic disconnection after 2 hours -is BT one of them?
            Nope - my broadband is always live connection.
            Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

It could be a line quality issue. If you are miles form the exchange the loss might be such that it could drop out. One trick is to remove the termination capacitor from the line jack, but I didn't tell you that becuae it would be naughty!
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by jax
                Hi,

Jacqueline
                Actually - it was probably because I was out of the office for two days at a conference .

Anj
                (Mrs Sumo - "Place of employment" - BT Broadband Design Office Martlesham Heath )
                If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

my mum has got bt broad band and me mate across the road and they are always being thrown off line
                  aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me and telling me "You're next."They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals!

Comment

Just got back to read all the replies, thanks everyone. I do have a modem but I think it might be something to do with the length of the line. We are really out in the sticks here with just a small exchange. I'm going to check the line and the 'idle' thingy now.

Jacqueline

Comment

I always disconnect mine,and unplug from the usb port,there are a lot of hackers and thunderstorms about.