Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Tom 5

I now have Tom Tom 5 on the PDA release 2June

On first impressions the outlook is very similar with much better maps and the a nice feature of the side roads having their names come up on the screen. This is very handy for delivery work if you use the roads previous to aid your navigation..I do have a few niggly thoughts though in the fact the speed display is too small and the menu screen has too many bits to faff around with which could distract your driving and the so called postcode search at the moment does not seem to go straight into navigation mode without going through the rigmarole of wanting address labels to go with it..At the moment i am finding it a bit unstable but i am using a cracked version but i do have a proper version coming too..

Now bearing in mind its early days to using the software so as you can appreciate i am still refering to the old version for comparison but i am seeing the ideas of using some of the old add on that i have. One of the biggest bug bears i am seeing at the moment is the fact it takes over the screen and you can not go into your address book for example but you can set up your own POI for off road centres or what ever you want to create... You can import speed cameras into the program but i can not see a way of using checkpoint properly but you can add and delete cameras if you have a short cut set up on the buttons.
    The package does allow you to set up various paramaters for speeds and walking routes..

Its early days so i am still getting to grips with the package and these are only highlights of what i have found but if you are looking for a navigation package you would not go wrong with Tom Tom
    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

I use Tomtom 5 everyday for work.... i have all my clients in there are POI (points of interest) and I have all the UK speed cameras in there too.

if anyone needs any help with TomTom gimme a toot... I have all the europe maps etc and a cracked TT5.

my niggles are:

You cant use one key to add a POI anymore.
    You have to go into Preferences to add a POI

apart from that its spot on...
    [CENTER][img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/bolloxx.j

Comment

Cool, thanks for that, did not know it was out, I will investigate further...

Found this review tho which may be useful:
      http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/tomtom-navigator-pda-5.php

Been hoping for an upgrade in a while, my current version seems quite unstable. Not 100% sure its TomTom but thats the only thing that crashes.
      No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

I wouldnt mind getting all the european maps

Comment

I ordered the TT5 upgrade last week so I'm looking forward to playing with it.
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by bolloxx
            I use Tomtom 5 everyday for work.... i have all my clients in there are POI (points of interest) and I have all the UK speed cameras in there too.

if anyone needs any help with TomTom gimme a toot... I have all the europe maps etc and a cracked TT5.

my niggles are:

You cant use one key to add a POI anymore.
            You have to go into Preferences to add a POI

apart from that its spot on...
            Hi
            I would like to get a copy of TT5
            any chance?
            how much will cost?
            Thanks
            cburada

Comment

Yippee my version 5 is on its way Ill be alright if it doesnt end up like the Carlsbergs as it is coming from Holland

If it giggles i know there is a problem

Comment

Any "Contributing Member" who wants a copy. please PM me your addy and I'll post a dvd with tt5 and all maps to you.

Comment

tt5

Originally posted by bolloxx
                  Any "Contributing Member" who wants a copy. please PM me your addy and I'll post a dvd with tt5 and all maps to you.
                  Hi Bollox
                  I am intersted in a copy of tt5
                  please let me know how much is the contribution
                  thanks
                  PS my address :cburada@yahoo.com

Comment

See this thread

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1140

PM me when you have sorted it

Comment

For those of you who run the system regardless of version their is a free camera database available which does work with ver5

First you need to download POI Edit from this you can get any poi you wish

For TonyN theres even a poi for Burger king

you start by locating the the updates you want and then the place to be sent to on the pda or your Go by placing the poi destination in the great britain folder

Once you have done this you can tell the software to update every time you dock your pda or do it manually...

At the moment Checkpoint does not work with ver5 but it does with pervious versions once you have applied for the security code (free)

This beats tomtom by 70 Euro cos its all free

http://www.poiedit.com/

www.pocketgps.co.uk

some useful sites
                      Last edited by mark g8awo; 19 June 2005, 19:43.

Comment

Just performed an application update after receiving the version 5 from Holland...to find that I have to reload the maps! 211MB worth for GB Plus

Another niggle, although there may be a way to change it is...when entering roads etc for navigation half the roads disappear because of the new layout (dont know which to pick if multiple address provided)
                        Gaz

Comment

The biggest problem i have with tomtom 5 is that the it does not recoginise my sat reciever at start up and only begins to route plan once the car is moving!! great if you set off in the right direction but can be a pain otherwise! any ideas?
                          THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Originally posted by crazybitch
                            The biggest problem i have with tomtom 5 is that the it does not recoginise my sat reciever at start up and only begins to route plan once the car is moving!! great if you set off in the right direction but can be a pain otherwise! any ideas?

Are u using Bluetooth or cabled connection...I am using a cable version and use the standard TomTom Cable GPS setting.

There are the 4 types that can be configured

TomTom Wireless GPS
                            TomTom Cable GPS
                            Other Bluetooth GPS
                            Other Cable NMEA GPS - this one requires various Ports to be configured (USB, ifrared etc.)
                            Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
                              For those of you who run the system regardless of version their is a free camera database available which does work with ver5

First you need to download POI Edit from this you can get any poi you wish

For TonyN theres even a poi for Burger king

you start by locating the the updates you want and then the place to be sent to on the pda or your Go by placing the poi destination in the great britain folder

Once you have done this you can tell the software to update every time you dock your pda or do it manually...

At the moment Checkpoint does not work with ver5 but it does with pervious versions once you have applied for the security code (free)

This beats tomtom by 70 Euro cos its all free

http://www.poiedit.com/

www.pocketgps.co.uk

some useful sites

I found for version 3 the PromaSoft GPSAssist, POIAssist and RouteAssist was easier to use as you could automatically update all POI's or add as favourites. Instead of running from the PC, once the application was installed on the PDA you downloaded the POI's connected through the cradle to the PC directly from the PDA.

Seems to be sluggish and few problems with Version 5
                              Last edited by Gizmo; 4 September 2005, 13:21.
                              Gaz

Comment

Working...
                              X