Oil Pressure Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure Q's

Just noticed that my oil pressure guage drops after long hard drives to Angelsey...when just warm and driving at about 50 it usualy sits to the middle left of the guage, but after 2 hrs driving its sits at the end of the first bar on the guage....is this normal or a sign of thinning oil ?

Cheers.

Regds.

Rpn.
    Nili secundum desperandum

Mine seems to do the same, so I think it's normal. Apparently the Surf has a high volume pump rather than a high pressure one, so you're never going to see the pressure guage at the top of the scale. So long as it's somewhere within the middle band when motoring you should be OK.
    Mike G

Comment

I also notice that mine has low pressure during idle ... in some trucks I think that is a sign of trouble?

Keegan

Comment

Originally posted by mrkeeg
        I also notice that mine has low pressure during idle ... in some trucks I think that is a sign of trouble?

Keegan
        no, it's cos the oil pump isn't turning as fast.

the pressure drops when the engine is hot cos the oil gets thinner the hotter it gets.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
          no, it's cos the oil pump isn't turning as fast.

the pressure drops when the engine is hot cos the oil gets thinner the hotter it gets.
          Cool so its not an early warning sign - just something I had missed upto now.

Thanks for that.

Ron.
          Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Don't forget that you also get oil pressure from the crank!! Just to throw that one in for ya

Cheers, Nick
            "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Working...
            X