No announcement yet.

M/Ts too soft for road use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the yoko geolanders on the rear and they are a bit dodgy in the wet.

You are also right abut the appearance they do not look good.
    I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

running 32/11.50 BFG MT's at the mo, getting a bit tired now, done about 50,000 miles on two trucks over about 5 years. handle fine, way more than chassis can handle, if they gripped anymore the truck would fall over at roundabouts when i'm going a bit quick,only thing they don't like are greasy roads after light rain.Going to be replacing them soon with 33" BFG MT's so putting my money where my mouth is!,
      Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

I had some BFG MTs on my surf - they were VERY noisy , now got some General Grabber AT2s, which look good, are much quieter and seem fine off road.

Comment

Originally posted by paulc
          I had some BFG MTs on my surf - they were VERY noisy , now got some General Grabber AT2s, which look good, are much quieter and seem fine off road.
          isn't that why there's a stereo?
          my mate has just put general at2's on his p#@ do look pretty good and he reckons they were fine when he went laning.

Comment

Originally posted by openback
            running 32/11.50 BFG MT's at the mo, getting a bit tired now, done about 50,000 miles on two trucks over about 5 years. handle fine, way more than chassis can handle, if they gripped anymore the truck would fall over at roundabouts when i'm going a bit quick,only thing they don't like are greasy roads after light rain.Going to be replacing them soon with 33" BFG MT's so putting my money where my mouth is!,
            Are you still using a 15 x 8 wheel, and when you go to the 33" tyre are you going to have to lift the Surf more?

Cheers, Nick
            "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V
              Koi, any extra road noise or fuel consumption - although I suspect not

Cheers, Nick
              Fuel consumption seemed to be the same, although I never really keep a close eye on it. Just filled it up, reset trip did 300 miles and filled it up again.
              As for road noise, straight roads no real noticeable difference, corners was a bit different. If corner normally then OK, if cornered hard then you could hear the outer treads on the road, sort of let you know you were doing it.
              The MT's are now on my pick up and do they stick on that, no joking it corners like its on rails.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

isn't that why there's a stereo?
                my mate has just put general at2's on his p#@ do look pretty good and he reckons they were fine when he went laning.
                Yep, I'm very pleased with them, good value too, around £65 a go.

Comment

I got Kumho MT's on my new surf and I would rate them over AT's anyday. Would not go back to AT's now. Details here:

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/mud_tyres.htm

Since then I have driven in a lot of condictions on and off-road and never had any problems with grip on road in wet (actually better than my old AT's) and off-road is superb, unsurprisingly so much better than the AT's. Price is good with the Kumhos too - meant to be a little bit noiser that the BFG MT but much cheaper.

Can't comment on wear yet as not had them that long but I had a set of MT's on another Hilux pickup once and they lasted for ages - there is so much tread to start with they will take thousands of miles to wear them out.
                  No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

BFG A/T's are superb!!!

I've run them for 2 years on the Bullet, and done some pretty extreme offroading (check the pics on the website to see how extreme) in them with absolutely no trouble. I do a lot of miles on the road, and they have worn very very well - still only about half worn - great on road with little noise and no slipping in the rain at all.

I will be getting another set when these wear out, I certainly wouldnt replace them with MT's unless the truck becomes mainly for extreme off roading with little road work.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
                      I got Kumho MT's on my new surf and I would rate them over AT's anyday. Would not go back to AT's now. Details here:

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/mud_tyres.htm

Since then I have driven in a lot of condictions on and off-road and never had any problems with grip on road in wet (actually better than my old AT's) and off-road is superb, unsurprisingly so much better than the AT's. Price is good with the Kumhos too - meant to be a little bit noiser that the BFG MT but much cheaper.

Can't comment on wear yet as not had them that long but I had a set of MT's on another Hilux pickup once and they lasted for ages - there is so much tread to start with they will take thousands of miles to wear them out.
                      I have these on my 4Runner, and they were on our grey 2.4 before, they are great, no complaints, 18 months on and no noticable wear.

They're not A/T's in the wet, but a superb multi-purpose tyre and cheap at that.

I'd buy again.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I have Yoko Geolanders on the Alli's but in the wet they give too easily and you find yourself in a side skid...running on Colway AT's most of the time on-road and off-road and found they're excellent.

Got spare Patriot AT [i believe]. Looks more like an M+S tyre with the tread.
                        Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V
                          Are you still using a 15 x 8 wheel, and when you go to the 33" tyre are you going to have to lift the Surf more?

Cheers, Nick
                          allready using a 15x8 wheel. truck (IFS Hilux ) is allready lifted 4" so ready for 33's, 32's came off my old truck.

Comment

allready using a 15x8 wheel. truck (IFS Hilux ) is allready lifted 4" so ready for 33's, 32's came off my old truck.
                            You'll have to let us know how they go

Cheers, Nick
                            "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Confusion Has Set In...

Got my 3.0SSRG with Bridgestone D694 AT's already on it when it was imported. The back tyres being some what more worn than the fronts I am planning on changing them ready for winter. My plan was to change all 4 as I'm not sure how old they are.
                              For as long as I can remember BFG AT's have always been the all-round tyre of choice and the fact that you can expect between 60K & 100k out of a set really appeals. Even heard of a guy in a LR90 getting 120k miles out of a set. Poor bugger, 120k in a LR90, someone should educate him in comfort .
                              Now I'm confused, I've never really had any problems with the D694's, went to Devon in the summer not that much road noise, no handling problems (Yet, touch wood) and they seem a pretty good off-road.
                              Having read all the reviews on here and in mags I'm still no the wiser and the more I read the more confused I get. After all this reading I'm now even considering getting a set of BFG MT's as people are saying you don't notice much difference in road noise. In my opinion the MT's are the best looking tyre around, it appeals to that little kid inside me that always wanted a monster truck!
                              So the £400 questions are:
                              2 X D694's for the rear?
                              4 X D694's?
                              4 X BFG AT's?
                              4 X BFG MT's?

Pete. Cheshire.

PS. How easy are D694's to get hold of in the UK?
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=7][COLOR=Blue][B]PJH[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X