Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M/Ts too soft for road use?

Hi All,

Unfortunately, I need new shoes on my Surf. Currently it's wearing 265/75/R16 Bridgestone M/Ts but these are really showing signs of wear, especially with damage to the sidewall of one so I need to get them replaced. When I had it serviced recently I was advised to go back to A/Ts as the M/Ts compound is too soft for sustained normal road use, wears faster and is more prone to damage. However, I have been impressed at the handling on the M'Ts, especially in the wet and we have used them off-road too.

I can get the M/Ts for £88.80 a corner (673s) or I can get the 694 A/Ts for £88.30 or BFGs A/Ts for £99.20 a corner so nothing in it really.

Not having had the 4x4 long enough to judge, do you generally agree that MTs more likely to get damaged with sustained road use?
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

yeah... they're only 20/80 road/ off road.

ATs are 50/50 and just as good unless you're really stuck in the mud.
    AT's will be quieter too and prbably give better MPG
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

How about colway mts, I have just got a set of colway at's and have been really impressed with them, they are so cheap also, at about 150 quid for the wholelot you can go through 2 sets of tresfor the price of one set of other tyres. The only issue seems to be the remold issue, however the guy i bought mine off (have a look in the tyres section for the guys name and number) said any problems i could just take apicture and he would send me a new tyre or a refund!!!

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms
        How about colway mts, I have just got a set of colway at's and have been really impressed with them, they are so cheap also, at about 150 quid for the wholelot you can go through 2 sets of tresfor the price of one set of other tyres. The only issue seems to be the remold issue, however the guy i bought mine off (have a look in the tyres section for the guys name and number) said any problems i could just take apicture and he would send me a new tyre or a refund!!!
        my colways have been good too... (smoke well!)

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
          my colways have been good too... (smoke well!)

Ditto!

Comment

just personal preference but I won't consider remoulds for the truck though I had colways on my old rally car and yes they did scha...moke extremely well - especially when playing with the fly-off handbrake

Maybe I will go for ATs then - though I noticed when I went from winter duelers on the smaller 15inch rims, that the change to the MTs on 16's was amazing but maybe the size of the rims is a factor here too?

Comment

i had winter duellers when it was first imported... they were REAL slippy in the wet... think it's down to the japanese compounds being different for their road surface??

Comment

Hi snoop,
                Where are you getting the BFGs at £99.20 each?
                I am after a set and that is about the cheapest I've seen.

Comment

I have the 694 duellers Snoop i think you saw them - i really like them and havent found them too bad in the wet at all... I also wont have remoulds for the time being.
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by colinjw
                    Hi snoop,
                    Where are you getting the BFGs at £99.20 each?
                    I am after a set and that is about the cheapest I've seen.
                    www.mytyres.co.uk

Brilliant site - not found anyone who can beat them. I'm now on a toss-up between the BFGs and the Bridgestone A/T's. The BFGs seem to be the most recommended here but the bridges are cheaper and I have Bridgestone graphics on my truck!!!

Oh, they also do the Yoko Geolanders for £87.70 which is a great price compared to others I have seen but I'm not so keen on the appearance of them.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                      I have the 694 duellers Snoop i think you saw them - i really like them and havent found them too bad in the wet at all... I also wont have remoulds for the time being.
                      Cool, I hadn't seen a review of them from anyone yet. Thanks Tim. I think they'll be the ones!

Oh and cheers for the dirty beast request on Andys video!!! Our copy turned up and we had a good chuckle!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop
                        Cool, I hadn't seen a review of them from anyone yet. Thanks Tim. I think they'll be the ones!

Oh and cheers for the dirty beast request on Andys video!!! Our copy turned up and we had a good chuckle!!!
                        Haha no worries mate, it had to be done really

I got my tyres from that very same place - I have a trade account with a big tyre place and mytyres were still cheaper, just paid to have 2 fitted and still saved about £40

I like the look of the 694's, they are loads better in the mud than I expected and I dont want BFGs cos my Dad uses them on his LC
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

well if yr not too far away give these guys a call

www.micheldevertyres.co.uk £88 for bfg at's fitted and balanced

Comment

Had BFG AT's on my Surf then put BFG MT's on and although they are 20/80 on/off road in my opinion where far better in the wet than the AT's. Don't know why, ran at same pressure, in fact they were not just a little better but way better so.................
                            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                              Had BFG AT's on my Surf then put BFG MT's on and although they are 20/80 on/off road in my opinion where far better in the wet than the AT's. Don't know why, ran at same pressure, in fact they were not just a little better but way better so.................
                              Koi, any extra road noise or fuel consumption - although I suspect not

Cheers, Nick
                              "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Working...
                              X