Heated Fuel Cat.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated Fuel Cat.....

Ment to post this last week, sorry Phil!

Pics of the Bullet's Heated Fuel Cat installed....

Once I've got my emissions tester back we'll see how it makes the truck run on derv and veg.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Hmmm, did you say 'heated' fuel cat...?

But no pre-heat... so would only work well once the coolant is at 'operating temperature'...?

What happens on those rather cold mornings...? particularly with cocktail fuel...?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
      Hmmm, did you say 'heated' fuel cat...?

But no pre-heat... so would only work well once the coolant is at 'operating temperature'...?

What happens on those rather cold mornings...? particularly with cocktail fuel...?
      Yeah, its plumbed into the coolant line, so for the first 5 mins it won't do much, but once it warms up it works all the time, and for free.

We're looking for improved fuel combustion all the time, even just on deisel, not just for starting on veg, without running an electric heater all the time your driving, which will probably offset any advantages of heating the fuel by drag on the alternator running it.

Phils looking at starting on pure derv, from a small tank, then switching to 100% veg once its started up like an LPG system on petrol motors.

Comment

Very interesting...

Whoever had tony's emissions tester give it back so we can hear the results of this experiment...?

Comment

I have a combustion analyser if its any help to you!!
          I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
            Very interesting...

Whoever had tony's emissions tester give it back so we can hear the results of this experiment...?
            Hehe, my Dads got it, trying to get his old Transit camper through an MOT! he couldn't get it to tick over without missing, and mega high emissions, turns out one of the tappets was done up so tight the valve wouldn't shut properly!

Good job its not an interferance motor like the Surf, or he'd have a bent valve!!!!

Comment

Me much interested in one of those. I used too small diameter fuel pipe in my homebrew heat exchanger and can't be arsed to make another prototype (well I might have time around about year 2010).
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

I also put a fuel return loop in mine (as well as the heater) so heated fuel being returned by the engine (as the fuel pump always pulls too much) is sent back through the heat ex and back through the filter instead of back to the tank- this reduces the warm up time cosiderably and also means the fuel pump is not having to suck as much cold fuel all the way from the tank.... it makes a massive difference to the flow rate from the tank and is well worth doing.

Am happy to post pics or could even meet up and show you the mods tony - you only live down the road from me!

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
                  could even meet up and show you the mods tony - you only live down the road from me!
                  Yeah, good plan, I need to have a look at that.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Yeah, good plan, I need to have a look at that.
                    You have mail....

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                      Ment to post this last week, sorry Phil!

Pics of the Bullet's Heated Fuel Cat installed....

Once I've got my emissions tester back we'll see how it makes the truck run on derv and veg.

Tony i could do with a bit of help can you have a look at this thread for me... i hear your the man for the job.....

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...=fuel+cat+surf

Thanks in advance m8...

Stu

Grinning sheffield surfer
                      http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

Tony
                        that looks like how i remember it? Wasnt the other one heated?

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                          Me much interested in one of those. I used too small diameter fuel pipe in my homebrew heat exchanger and can't be arsed to make another prototype (well I might have time around about year 2010).
                          What type of design did you use in making yours?

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
                            I also put a fuel return loop in mine (as well as the heater) so heated fuel being returned by the engine (as the fuel pump always pulls too much) is sent back through the heat ex and back through the filter instead of back to the tank- this reduces the warm up time cosiderably and also means the fuel pump is not having to suck as much cold fuel all the way from the tank.... it makes a massive difference to the flow rate from the tank and is well worth doing.

Am happy to post pics or could even meet up and show you the mods tony - you only live down the road from me!

Do you have any pics of this set up you could post up?
                            I'd love to know more
                            1996 3rd generation surf

Comment

Working...
                            X