X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another bunch of Anti's....

...The Council For National Parks

http://www.cnp.org.uk

Never heard much about them till recently. Here's thier latest press release.

http://www.cnp.org.uk/press_release_26_05_05.htm

It's an extremely well put together report- and shows the organisational abilty of some NGO's that us 4x4 drivers are up against. If this kind of lobbying organistion get their way we will soon only be allowed on tarmac in the National Parks. Take heed.

Nevillef
    Last edited by laser_jock99; 1 June 2005, 22:17.

Some Parks reported that they have regular convoys of four wheel drives equipped to winch themselves out of ancient green lanes .
    Oi winch people stop it Youre giving us a bad name
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

I sent them this letter:

Sir,

With reference to your resent press release I feel compelled to send a response.

I have be a keen walker since I was 13 and have enjoyed the peace and quite of the National Parks on many occasions. A little over 6 years ago I brought my first 4x4 and having been on an off road driving course as part of my work with the MoD chose to use it for the purpose of recreation.

Since then I have enjoyed many hours of pleasure and challenge driving off road. At all times I have been mindful of the potential for damage to both the countryside and other users. The majority of this type of driving has taken place at specific sites for which I pay an entrance fee or on rights of way where the surface is able to with-stand the passage of my vehicle.

Your request to the government to increase your powers to control the amount of damage to the National Parks is both understandable and lamentable. Those who do damage by either driving irresponsibly or in ignorance should be prosecuted and made to pay for the repairs, however we can all see the government taking the ‘easy’ route to the problem and simply banning the activity all together. You are with doubt aware of the current mood against 4x4s in general and this press release will only add fuel to the debates taking place. Many 4x4 owners and organizations take part in activities that help keep rights of ways open for other users, how many other of the other users can make this claim.

I can not ask you to retract your press release, however if it does provoke the type of legislation I ask that you do not jump in too quickly and remember that your actions could end up affect both my recreation and many motor sport events. Asking for more money to police the land is unlikely in today’s financial climate, the easy path for the government will be another dose of poorly planned rules that reach far deeper than you ever intended. There is a large number of off road users who would be only too happy to help in any way possible to either repair, report or monitor the abuse of our parks and rights of way. All that is needed is a small amount of liaison between us.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Dawson

Don't think it'll make any difference, but we've got to try otherwise we are going to lose a lot more freedom.

Comment

Thanks Andy- every little helps. I've forwarded the press release to both GLASS and LARA to see if/what their response is going to be. I think they ought to take this one very seriously since CNP are also campaigning for a large part of the South Downs to be classed as National Park.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          Some Parks reported that they have regular convoys of four wheel drives equipped to winch themselves out of ancient green lanes .
          Oi winch people stop it Youre giving us a bad name
          I think the main problem I have is with the illegal motor bikers who go off the rights of way and generally give us all a bad name- the few that spoil it for the many......

Nevillef

Comment

“Green lane” is a descriptive term often given to those highways and byways which date from the times of old carriage routes or packhorse trails, have been left untarmaced and are an essential part of the rights of way network used by walkers, cyclists, horseriders and carriage drivers.

their words..
            so they have an obligation to maintain rights of way for carriage drivers. so why do you need to winch on them if they are properly maintained?
            if 4x4s are banned from them, they only have to maintain them for horses, walkers and cyclists. should save a packet...
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

There has been a crack-down in my local area recently, even a couple of arrests for re-offenders. the main culprits are........Idiots buying cheap-as-chips quad bikes then realising they have no where to use them 'cos they live on a council estate, so the go to the nearest field or muddy lane and just churn them up.

Comment

snipers. its the only answer...
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X