Rear Cargo Box/Bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Cargo Box/Bed

Just thought I'd put up some Photo's of the Cargo Box/Bed that I've constructed in the Rear of my Surf - got the main Idea from: http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/cargo_box.htm (though had to improvise with the Bed Extension!). Also. I'm now running on 60% Diesel, 40% Veg oil with no ill effects whatsoever - even managed to increase the Mileage, from 25mpg to 28mpg, somehow!!
    Attached Files
    Better to be in Cumulonimbus than Cumulogranite

Good work!!

That looks great. How long did it take you??
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Thanks, Dave. It took a couple of weeks, due to work commitments . I managed to get the use of a friend's Double Garage, and he had all the required tools!
      On the Website, he uses MDF for all of it, but I found that way too heavy - so I used 18mm Block Board for the Vertical Side Sections, for reinforcement, and 12mm Marine Ply for the Base and Top Panels (much lighter!). I was in touch with the guy, and he said he hadn't worked out a way of creating the Bed extension. I came up with having a folded Section that fits into the Main Compartment (roughly!) - once the Seats are folded fully down, the extension is supported by 4 Legs - it seems to work! I can inflate a Double Mattress and get it in - it's alright once I'm lying on it (I'm 6' 2" and can get reasonably comfortable!! - does the Business anyways!).
      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice job. I was trying to explain the gist of the drawers in the back to Mrs KS. She said, "If I find any drawers in the back of the Surf I want a divorce."

Seriously though I have been thinking about a similar setup for some time. The other advantage would be that Lady (16 y/o collie) will be able to see out without getting up. Poor old girl!
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Looking good mate, glad you found the site useful.

Simon
          No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

I've been contemplating making something similar, though probably not quite as deep. You've done a good job there, nice one.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
              I've been contemplating making something similar, though probably not quite as deep. You've done a good job there, nice one.
              It's gotta be that depth if you want it to cover the wheel arches and give a flat top to the whole load space. Obviously can be less deep but would have to fit between the wheel arches instead.
              No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
                It's gotta be that depth if you want it to cover the wheel arches and give a flat top to the whole load space. Obviously can be less deep but would have to fit between the wheel arches instead.
                Yeah, not too fussed about covering the arches, but it will need to be deep enough to fit a 20ltr Jerry can, and a trolley jack inside. It'll probably end up being not far off.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

Something about imitation as the sincerest form of flattery...?

My drawers run quite deep with a cubby hole at the front of each drawer, just about the size of an Exide Maxxima Deep Cycle (coincidentally). 2nd deep cycle to go on one side and a 1000w inverter lives in the other. Side panels beside the drawers just flap up... and I keep all the tow straps, strops, shackles in there...

Mind you, all these posh monkeys with carpet... very flash...

Still undecided about that... I'd like to clad the edges of mine with Ally strip... got my industrial tracks and tie downs to fit as well... probably going to rebate those into the top section, so they are half set in... half out...
                  Still another way of doing it...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice Cubby Hole! Good Idea for easier Access - may copy that one, if I may. I wanted my Floor to be above the Wheel Arches to achieve Wider Floor Space to fit in the Double Air Mattress. You gotta have Carpet! Jumbo Cord, £1.99 a Sq Mtr from Carpet Right - I managed to get a Cut Off piece for £10 that more than managed to cover it all.

Comment

Working...
                    X