Old radio out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old radio out

I took the old radio out long time back coz an AM only radio didnt deserve space in my surf, it was small than the avg radio so I know I'll have to do something to get my phillips radio in.
    The old radio was bolted in and the phillips wont be doing that. Some radios I've changed b4 have had a 'rear rester arm' which means the weight of the back of the radio is taken by the bulkhead and bumpy roads dont damage the radio or the mountings. So.. the surf bulkhead doesnt cater for this.

What have others done and do you cut plastic at any stage and what do you cut neatly with and and and...

Originally posted by JimL
    I took the old radio out long time back coz an AM only radio didnt deserve space in my surf, it was small than the avg radio so I know I'll have to do something to get my phillips radio in.
    The old radio was bolted in and the phillips wont be doing that. Some radios I've changed b4 have had a 'rear rester arm' which means the weight of the back of the radio is taken by the bulkhead and bumpy roads dont damage the radio or the mountings. So.. the surf bulkhead doesnt cater for this.

What have others done and do you cut plastic at any stage and what do you cut neatly with and and and...
    I used the existing arms that bolted to the radio and cd unit, put in the new radio cage and soldered it to the arms and then bolted the universal pocket underneath. Slid in the radio then put dash back. Radio ain't coming out unless the whole dash is taken off first.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Don't get cutting just yet!!!

I fitted a single din unit in my Surf without cutting. The knack is to mount it from behind the dash rather than through the hole. With luck your unit should then be able to be bolted in place.

With mine the front trim came off and fits neatly over the unit and the dash.

Rich.
      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by rich
        Don't get cutting just yet!!!

I fitted a single din unit in my Surf without cutting. The knack is to mount it from behind the dash rather than through the hole. With luck your unit should then be able to be bolted in place.

With mine the front trim came off and fits neatly over the unit and the dash.

Rich.
        ditto!
        the ashtray assembly comes out and this has a plate either side with ickle bitts sticking out that correspond to the holes in the side of the stereo pop it in there clamp together put back together and berts my uncle
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dabigman; 12 November 2003, 22:36.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL

Best off bolting the radio in from the sides as per the original Din mounts, secure no vibrations, looks neat, no need to cut plastic, easy to do, no worrys. Need a hand ? give me a shout, I'm only 10 mins away from ya and its about time I met up with someone else here anyway (only met Ciaran/Cmar before)
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Watch out Jim! He might try and pull a switch on ya while your not looking. Keeps your eyes on your surf at all times!
            Last edited by Delboy; 13 November 2003, 23:34.
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

thanks for all replies, and maurice thanks for the offer we should meet up alrite even though i'm bout as predictable as a 2.4 and need to ask herself for time away

Comment

Working...
              X