another towbar cry for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by InfraRed
    That damned buzzer is awfully loud though, I've buried mine in foam and its still bl!!dy deafening.
    I fitted the same towbar last July and I found that the buzzer was too loud even though I taped it up and covered it in two layers of sound deadening material!!
    In the end I opened up the box, disconneced the buzzer and extended the wires up to an LED on the dash which flashes with the indicators - much more civilised!!
    Keith
    Keith

Comment

got back from my weekend away
      surf towed my camper really well no problems
      wales is a surfers paradise they are everywhere must of saw about 20 in 2 days waved to everyone but did not get a single wave back:0(
      just blank looks
      if anyone was up there and a blue surf flashed and waved at you it was me
      not mad just trying to be friendly
      carl
      Baner

Comment

Have you stuck a screwdriver through the buzzer yet?
        Stella Artois

Comment

Originally posted by jackster
          Have you stuck a screwdriver through the buzzer yet?
          lol packed all my stuff around it and it wasnt too bad
          Baner

Comment

Anyone got a link for this towequipe towbar kit for a '94 surf???

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
              Anyone got a link for this towequipe towbar kit for a '94 surf???
              Linkage

I bought one 2 months ago, very easy to fit and seems to be very good quality.

Comment

Buzzer on mine is not too bad, reminds me the trailers on the back, if its a baggage trailer or a car transporter and I can't see it I tend to forget after a while. There is a very secondhand wooden bollard near brands hatch which fell victem to a car trailer (empty) I was towing, nearly put me thru the windscreen when the wheel got stuck on it!
                Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

try these

http://www.fityourowntowbars.co.uk/

brilliant service and currently free P&P - £115 all in including bumper protector and ball and socket covers
                  Dave

Comment

I've just finished fitting a new towequipe bar to a friends '94, good kit alright. We cant figure how we're supposed to get the wiring sorted though.

1st of all how do you get the black 7 core wire inside? Also where is the wiring for the lights, or do you make the connections inside the light cluster compartment? If so you have wires coming out the side of it or into the sidewall area, that would mean removing the plastic panelling though?

Comment

Damn! Missed this thread, I've just booked a mobile tow bar fitter for Monday morning (£188) D'oh!

Anyone got a twin axled transporter going cheap?
                      Cheers,
                      Sean

Comment

Has anyone with the towequipe bar had to use a spacer to move the ball from the bashplate ?

I was trying to hook up the works trailer last week, but the nose would not go over the ball due to the bashplate being too close to it.

I bought a spacer today and longer bolts so all should be fine now.

Comment

yep, me too. spent ages trying to shuffle it back on the bolts first tho...
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal
                            Has anyone with the towequipe bar had to use a spacer to move the ball from the bashplate ?

I was trying to hook up the works trailer last week, but the nose would not go over the ball due to the bashplate being too close to it.

I bought a spacer today and longer bolts so all should be fine now.
                            Hi Verbal,
                            I fitted towequipe bar a couple of weeks ago but haven't actually used it yet.
                            Agree it all seem good quality - the only problem I had was with the exhaust hanger bracket(minor alteration with angle grinder!)
                            Concerned you have had to fit spacer - where did you get it?
                            Cheers Ken

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                              I've just finished fitting a new towequipe bar to a friends '94, good kit alright. We cant figure how we're supposed to get the wiring sorted though.

1st of all how do you get the black 7 core wire inside? Also where is the wiring for the lights, or do you make the connections inside the light cluster compartment? If so you have wires coming out the side of it or into the sidewall area, that would mean removing the plastic panelling though?
                              If you remove the plastic trim holding carpet at edge of boot(prise off caps to reveal 4 or 5 screws) you should see rectangular plastic grommet at each side. Pull this out and with a bit of fiddling you should manage to feed your 7 core wire inside. You will need to remove side panels to connect up though.
                              I just followed this excellent link
                              http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/rear_trim.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                                Hi Verbal,
                                I fitted towequipe bar a couple of weeks ago but haven't actually used it yet.
                                Agree it all seem good quality - the only problem I had was with the exhaust hanger bracket(minor alteration with angle grinder!)
                                Concerned you have had to fit spacer - where did you get it?
                                Cheers Ken

I got the spacer and longer bolts from Autow on Arran Road. Its along to the right-hand-side, you will see the sign. It cost £12.90 including VAT and that was for a 1½ inch tow ball spacer and longer bolts.

I still have`nt fitted the electrics yet, you don`t fancy a little job do you Ken ?

Comment

Working...
                                X