No announcement yet.

Veg oil fuel ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was going to buy the biodiesel as I'm pretty sure I don't have time to make my own. I'm planning to buy it in 200L amounts from a place in Manchester, and own up to Customs and Excise. During the summer months I'll probably stick in a bit of veg oil.

Is there anything else 'carbon neutral' that could be used to thin the vegoil in REALLY cold weather? Such as grain ethanol/methanol or something?

Just thinking ahead - the weather's getting more and more unpredictable each year, so we could expect really cold winters as well as humid rainy summers like this one.

[I had hoped that this bizarre weather we've been having (torrential rain, flooding, hot and humid, 'tropical' gales) and completely absent 'summer' might have provoked some interest in the media and made people wake up to the fact that global warming IS HAPPENING, but alas no! I can't understand why there isn't more interest in using biofuels and why it's so difficult to register with C&E , except that there must be some vested interests in government!!]

Marcus

Comment

• Originally posted by baw
      ...........Is there anything else 'carbon neutral' that could be used to thin the vegoil in REALLY cold weather? Such as grain ethanol/methanol or something?.................... .............................. .........I can't understand why there isn't more interest in using biofuels and why it's so difficult to register with C&E , except that there must be some vested interests in government..........
      I've not heard of anybody using ethanol or methanol to thin the biodiesel during the winter, at the greater danger is gelling at low temps. Some peeps in the states are using a winterizing agent to get them thru winters, but I've no idea of the composotion or availability of these products here.

Vested interests? I'm not normally a conspirisy theorist, but yes, I reckon the oil companies have hugh sway in this arena.
      The EU sets the bands within which all member slaves, sorry states, must levy their fuel tax rates, biofuels are permitted to be zero rated, just be gratefull the UK gov gives some degree of concession, here in Ireland we get zilch!
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I was going to buy the biodiesel as I'm pretty sure I don't have time to make my own. I'm planning to buy it in 200L amounts from a place in Manchester, and own up to Customs and Excise. During the summer months I'll probably stick in a bit of veg oil.

Is there anything else 'carbon neutral' that could be used to thin the vegoil in REALLY cold weather? Such as grain ethanol/methanol or something?

Just thinking ahead - the weather's getting more and more unpredictable each year, so we could expect really cold winters as well as humid rainy summers like this one.

[I had hoped that this bizarre weather we've been having (torrential rain, flooding, hot and humid, 'tropical' gales) and completely absent 'summer' might have provoked some interest in the media and made people wake up to the fact that global warming IS HAPPENING, but alas no! I can't understand why there isn't more interest in using biofuels and why it's so difficult to register with C&E , except that there must be some vested interests in government!!]

Marcus
        Marcus,

I may be wrong, but if you are buying the biodiesel you will not have to contact C & E, the producer will be the one paying the duty. If however you are adding Veg Oil then yes it's time to get tangled in Red Tape.

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

• Lidl

Originally posted by ssrx
          Anyone got any info on fueling a td surf in this way?????

Steve
          I started 2 weeks ago after looking at all the posts here - I built up from a test of 3 ltrs - no probs - have now stuck 20 ltrs in - still no probs - interesting smell though .. am now going up to a 50:50 mix.thro the warmer months ..I buy mine at Lidl by the case at 46p per litre ! GOOD STORE - LIDL !

Comment

• Originally posted by surfin
            I started 2 weeks ago after looking at all the posts here - I built up from a test of 3 ltrs - no probs - have now stuck 20 ltrs in - still no probs - interesting smell though .. am now going up to a 50:50 mix.thro the warmer months ..I buy mine at Lidl by the case at 46p per litre ! GOOD STORE - LIDL !
            Welcome aboard the Veggie train
            Maurice

Comment

• I have no problem running mine on 75% veg oil in this heat.

If I could find a wholesaler I'd use it more but at the moment I just use it for long trips.
              [color=darkorange]
              [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Nick
              1994 3L Turbo. Manual. SSR-X Limited[/size][/font]
              [/color]

Comment

• Veg Oil Suppliers

I've not got round to finding a wholsaler for vegoil although I'm given to understand it's not much cheaper wholesale than it is in supermarkets!

This weekend I found ALDI selling veg oil for 46p per litre which is the cheapest I've seen, the only drawback being the huge waste of plastic bottles involved! I am using them as cloches for my plants - any other ideas?

Marcus

Comment

I've not got round to finding a wholsaler for vegoil although I'm given to understand it's not much cheaper wholesale than it is in supermarkets!

This weekend I found ALDI selling veg oil for 46p per litre which is the cheapest I've seen, the only drawback being the huge waste of plastic bottles involved! I am using them as cloches for my plants - any other ideas?

Marcus
                  Yep, do you have a 'Macro' (metro cash and carry) near you, they sell veg cooking oil in 25 litre drums! Thats about half a tankfull
                  ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

• Yes there is a Makro near us, also a costco. how much are the 25 litre oil drums from Makro?

Comment

Yes there is a Makro near us, also a costco. how much are the 25 litre oil drums from Makro?
                      I'll find out for you. Off the top of my head its about half the price of deisel.
                      ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

• Makro in Leeds sells 20 litre drums about £11 not seen any 25 litre ones though

Comment

• Originally posted by Leodis
                          Makro in Leeds sells 20 litre drums about £11 not seen any 25 litre ones though
                          Sainsburys sell it for 54p a litre

Our local Costcutter dores it for 46p a litre but they never have much in.
                          It has occured to me to ask them to get some in on a regular basis for me.
                          [color=darkorange]
                          [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Nick
                          1994 3L Turbo. Manual. SSR-X Limited[/size][/font]
                          [/color]

Comment

• Originally posted by malum
                            Sainsburys sell it for 54p a litre

Our local Costcutter dores it for 46p a litre but they never have much in.
                            It has occured to me to ask them to get some in on a regular basis for me.
                            I don't know if I'd like to draw attention by asking them to get it in, according to stories on the net some Tesco's (or was it Lidl ? can't remember) in Wales were reporting people for buying large quantities, mind you they were filling up in the car-park in plain view apparantly!

Try Tesco's, here they are the same price as Lidl at €0.62 cents per litre, but have the benifir of comming in a 3lt bottle, less waste than Lidl's 1lt version.
                            Maurice

Comment

• 20 Litre Drums

I saw 20 Litre Drums in CostCo this lunchtime. I think it was around £9 per drum ~ 44p / litre rings a bell.

Rob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morr
                                I don't know if I'd like to draw attention by asking them to get it in, according to stories on the net some Tesco's (or was it Lidl ? can't remember) in Wales were reporting people for buying large quantities, mind you they were filling up in the car-park in plain view apparantly!
                                I beleive it might have been Asda as they are converting many of thier trucks to run on SVO.

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                X