Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 auto/manual

Hi all,
    I am currently looking to buy a V6 surf and was just wondering, most of the ones here are auto but I do prefer manual as they are normally more reliable. was just really wondering what peoples opinions are on the auto transmissions on these beasts though. Will be mostly used for towing light/heavy trailers rather then actual offroading (all though I'm sure it will get some use offroad ).

Also any other advice when out shopping (ie what to look out for/ what to look for) would be great.

Thanks

think you will find everyone has a different opinion on here, usually depends on what they have.
    Both the manual and auto boxes are very strong and good, I dont actually know of any autos that have broken and only 2/3 manuals that have had problems (I am sure I will be corrected here and a quick serch will propably tell you more also).
    Presonally I have a manual V6 and its more than I could ever wish for its amazing.
    Drive both and see what you like

Comment

Manual is the way to go. I have one and its up for sale. I'm just preparing the ebay advert. E-mail me if you want some specs. chinnerjohn@a.dii.mod.uk
      Johnny

Comment

might cost a bit to post it, he's in new zealand..
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Its really down to personal preference and availability.
          I've had both manual & auto Surfs, and certainly could not choose between them on that criteria alone. Having had a mix of manual & auto's in various cars over the years I think I can honestly say I don't care which it has anymore (assuming we can exclude earlier 3 speed only, non overdrive, non electronic autos).

Have a search on the forum, you'll find that its a common theme, people tend to prefer the one they currently have but really there's little to differentiate the two in terms of reliability, driveability, performance or fuel consumption etc, yes there is a difference, but its not huge.
          You pays your money and you takes your pick. That is if course if you can find a manual one
          Last edited by Morr; 18 May 2005, 13:34.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I will just have to take both out and see what i like better as suggested.

would love a manual but as they are so hard to find if something happens to its gearbox im guessing it would be near impossible to get parts?

Comment

Working...
            X