cracked tyres and opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracked tyres and opinions please

Hi,i read with interest in another post about tyres cracking because surfs sit so long in storage in japan.I've had my surf for 2 years and it has cracks all over the tread on all 4 tyres, it's passed 2 MOT's so it can't be dangerous???What do you guys think? If i do go for new tyres opinions please on dunlop tg35 and continental contitrac suv.95% of my driving is done on road.Thanks.

Originally posted by monty146
    Hi,i read with interest in another post about tyres cracking because surfs sit so long in storage in japan.I've had my surf for 2 years and it has cracks all over the tread on all 4 tyres, it's passed 2 MOT's so it can't be dangerous???What do you guys think? If i do go for new tyres opinions please on dunlop tg35 and continental contitrac suv.95% of my driving is done on road.Thanks.
    Hi Monty,

The first thing that got chopped when I got my Surf was the Tyres, it now has BFG Tarmacadams on (5) and they give great grip on the road, and seem to be hard wearing. They have also coped with the odd run off road.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

My Grabber AT's cracked and my car has never been on the boat from japan!!! The cracks never made it fail an mot or anything, so I dont think they consider it an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms
        My Grabber AT's cracked and my car has never been on the boat from japan!!! The cracks never made it fail an mot or anything, so I dont think they consider it an issue.
        All tyres will eventually crack with age regardless of whether they are jap ones or not. The reason it appears to happen more on the jap ones is their domestic market tyres seem to use a harder compound than we would, this gives them great thread-life, but as many of us have found terrible grip, this is why so many feel much better having ditched the jappo tyres (along with the stereo) and fitted proper Euro-spec ones, anyway this harder compound and longer thread-life coupled with the lower mileage they cover results in tyres still being used years after we would have dumped them, ie they can be very, very, old tyres, hence the cracks.

Personally if I see significant cracks or a crazing pattern on a tyre I replace it (and have done often), regardless of thread left of whether it has passed its MOT/NCT etc.
        Such tyres will not retain the desired handling characteristics, often with greater flex in the sidewalls leading to poorer grip and handling, additionally the chances of a punctures are greatly increased, plus if they happen at speed the chances of it occurring as a dangerous blowout are also greatly increased, as a couple of members on here could verify.

Personal opinion, badly cracked or crazed tyres represent an unacceptable risk and should be replaced. You've only got four small patches of rubber keeping you safely on the road, make them and their support the best you can.
        Last edited by Morr; 10 May 2005, 09:32.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Cracked tyres are bad, for most of the above reasons. If theres cracks then the rubber is degrading and effectivly broken. My spare wheel has a brand new tyre on it but there are cracks all over the place so it will be going soon. Even though they passed the mot still doesnt meant you shouldnt replace them. Remember, lots of things are acceptable in a mot but not nessaseraly good for the car.
          3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

I did the blowout thing on the M40 2 weeks after picking up the Surf.....great for tightening up the sphincter muscles

Comment

After suffering a blowout on the M1 at 70MPH (85+ depending who is asking) I would say don't trust your crazed tyres. Like others I thought they must be OK because there was plenty of tread on them.

Despite all of the above I can testify that the Surf handles amazingly well during a rear tyre blowout. I'm just glad it wasn't a front one.
              Is saving £200 - £400 worth more than a life or lives?
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

When I first got my surf, the tyres were cracked, I didn't think anything of it until I went with the wife and kids to Ireland.
                After a 2 hour drive in the middle of summer the tyres went out of shape just as I got on the ferry and the truck became virtually un-drivable, wobbling all over the place. This left me up sh*t creek in dublin without a paddle !!

I paid for my Naiveness and wouldn't trust any tyre that is starting to split!!

Do your self the biggest favour and get some new ones, otherwise they might bite you big time !!!!!

Once bitten,

Andy

Comment

I would certainly think about changing. As the tyres are crazed they loose their effectiveness and eventually the tyre wall will give.
                  Gaz

Comment

Working...
                  X