What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

Finally got the house sale sorted so have the money to buy my first surf...
    Saw this on ebay

ebay link

I need some quick advice on if it's worth it seeing as it needs new tyres...

Originally posted by humero
    Finally got the house sale sorted so have the money to buy my first surf...
    Saw this on ebay

ebay link

I need some quick advice on if it's worth it seeing as it needs new tyres...
    It's Hippo's sister

Looks good, and good value, but on reflection it has one problem !!!

Getting a bike on the roof is not what I would call fun

Trev
    Last edited by That Ruddy Squirrel; 7 May 2005, 17:14. Reason: added reflection
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

So - have now arranged to see it tomorrow but as I know nothing about cars, engines etc. what should I look out for?

I have been told the tyres are only just legal and it needs a service in about 1000miles - cambelt has been changed but seller has no receipts....

Bikes on roof - don't you just chuck em in the boot....

Comment

Originally posted by humero
        So - have now arranged to see it tomorrow but as I know nothing about cars, engines etc. what should I look out for?

I have been told the tyres are only just legal and it needs a service in about 1000miles - cambelt has been changed but seller has no receipts....

Bikes on roof - don't you just chuck em in the boot....
        As with any second hand vehicle get it serviced including new Cambelt.
        Test everything including 4wd and hi & low box. For tyres look at TYRE thread for Tyres & dealers
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Try the link below on what to look for when buying

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
          Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Thanks for the advice - have just got back from looking at it. everything seems fine to me. Took it for a test drive and it drove well. No leaks on the engine that I coudl see and nothing felt wrong whilst driving it. Only concern I have is that the tyres do need replacing (all 4) but the front are worn unevenly - alot more wear on the outside than the inside of the tyre, would this be a tracking problem and easily fixed.

Cambelt was changed in Jan 04.....

Comment

Yes, I does sound like tracking. They can have the adjusters seize up and need a gas torch to get them loose enough to turn. If you're interested in the vehicle, see if you can either get the seller to get the tracking sorted before you buy or knock off the cost but get a written confirmation that if it's anything more the seller will correct at his cost (unless you're buying from a garage in which case the warranty should cover it anyway).
              Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                Yes, I does sound like tracking. They can have the adjusters seize up and need a gas torch to get them loose enough to turn. If you're interested in the vehicle, see if you can either get the seller to get the tracking sorted before you buy or knock off the cost but get a written confirmation that if it's anything more the seller will correct at his cost (unless you're buying from a garage in which case the warranty should cover it anyway).

THanks - thought it probably would be - went ahead and bought it - a steal of a price so will get the tracking sorted tomorrow when I pick it up and get new tyres

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X