Fubar??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fubar??

I could do with a bit of diagnostic help... over the last few days the surf has been making increasing amounts of noise at low rev/high torque load situations - then last night after towing a boat through central london it decided enough was enough and slipped out of gear with a hideous grinding sound...since then it won't sit in any gear - the clutch feels a bit light, I can get it into gear and drive it slowly (went 20 miles down the m3 in second last night!) but as soon as I give it any gas or hit an incline of any sort the revs go sky high and the grinding noise starts again.

So any ideas...?

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
    I could do with a bit of diagnostic help... over the last few days the surf has been making increasing amounts of noise at low rev/high torque load situations - then last night after towing a boat through central london it decided enough was enough and slipped out of gear with a hideous grinding sound...since then it won't sit in any gear - the clutch feels a bit light, I can get it into gear and drive it slowly (went 20 miles down the m3 in second last night!) but as soon as I give it any gas or hit an incline of any sort the revs go sky high and the grinding noise starts again.

So any ideas...?
    Does it feel like clutch slip but with lots of noise? if so it may be your dual mass flywheel has blown - same thing happened to mine- look out for lots of oil on the bottom of the gearbox. New solid flywheel,clutch,bolts and spigot from Milners sorted it, with no noticeable difference in noise or feel.

Comment

Yeah - that does describe it pretty well.... excuse my ignorance... dual mass fly wheel??? is that connected to the flux capacitor?

Comment

Yeah - that does describe it pretty well.... excuse my ignorance... dual mass fly wheel??? is that connected to the flux capacitor?
        The flywheels in two main parts separated by a load of springs and some oil, it’s supposed to help smooth out the engine but as I said I didn’t notice a difference swapping to a solid flywheel although that might be because my dual mass one was knackered when I bought it, I don’t think so though as it drove the best of the 3 I tried. I dont think its conected to the flux capacitor - I always thought that was out back somewhere?

Comment

Excellent... Have done some googling and general looking around...I am now a dual mass flywheel expert!

In my expert capacity I have found out that it is not connected to the flux capacitor - however it is linked directly to the "increase overdraft" facility at my bank.

Comment

Excellent... Have done some googling and general looking around...I am now a dual mass flywheel expert!

In my expert capacity I have found out that it is not connected to the flux capacitor - however it is linked directly to the "increase overdraft" facility at my bank.
            LOL
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by Bikenuts
              The flywheels in two main parts separated by a load of springs and some oil
              There's NO oil in a Dual Mass Flywheel

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                There's NO oil in a Dual Mass Flywheel

Neville
                Must admit I didn't look to closely as mine was fixed under warranty, but my gearbox was cover with oil after it went and the first thing the garage checked was the gearbox and transfer case oil levels both – OK; they thought it was a striped gear or spline at first. So if there’s no oil in the Toyota dual mass fly wheel where did it come from? DMFs usually incorporate some sort or oil or grease filled hub/damper.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikenuts
                  Must admit I didn't look to closely as mine was fixed under warranty, but my gearbox was cover with oil after it went and the first thing the garage checked was the gearbox and transfer case oil levels both – OK; they thought it was a striped gear or spline at first. So if there’s no oil in the Toyota dual mass fly wheel where did it come from? DMFs usually incorporate some sort or oil or grease filled hub/damper.
                  Engine oil from the Rear Main Seal.Did they replace this.If not then I would be asking why not.

The springs in the Dual Mass Flywheel act as the dampers.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                    Engine oil from the Rear Main Seal.Did they replace this.If not then I would be asking why not.

The springs in the Dual Mass Flywheel act as the dampers.

Neville
                    From the ZF Sachs web site-

Sachs planetary DMF: The principle facts for the design engineer
                    - Excellent vibration damping quality through all engine-speed.
                    - Effortless engine start, short start and stop behavior.
                    - Good tuning capability thanks to springs in series and spring sets with various stiffness ratings, guided by plastic sliding blocks and spring caps, which keep the springs from going solid.
                    - Planet gears increase the dynamic mass moment of inertia.
                    - Grease-filled for long service life.
                    - Combination of three mechanisms with damping effect:
                    - friction (friction bearings, centrifugal force)
                    - vibration damping proportional to speed
                    - inertia of planetary gear
                    - no special friction device needed

Guess this is for the planetary gears, a little hot oil of grease goes a long way especially when coming from a spinning flywheel. Steel springs unlike rubber have very little damping they just absorb the shock loads.

Comment

You would be welcome to get mine out and have a look...(the flywheel that is...)

Comment

You would be welcome to get mine out and have a look...(the flywheel that is...)

Sorry, I think we got a bit carried away there and forgot all about you, I dare say we’d both love to help but I’m the wrong end of the country and Nev is even further away.
                        If it’s any help my local garage only sees the odd HiLux from a farmer and they had no problems, charged 150 quid labour, parts were about 450 quid from Milners and the warranty company agreed to pay it even though it wasn’t like for like because it was less then a new DMF.

Comment

Just a quick update.... got my surf back today - went for the soilid flywheel option. No difference in feel and no increased vibration. Feel I have a more robust system in place now...Thanks for the advice.

Comment

any difference in power? or am I still going to whip your ar5e in a race!!!!!

Comment

You just wait till I am running on "farnborough gold"....

Comment

Working...
                              X