Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safari snorkel warning

Hi all from the land down under.

Discussion on a couple of Surf forums here have revieled a few people have found a large washer in the top of the Safari snorkel tube. This washer is only to be installed on petrol engine Hilux and Surf.

If you have a diesel Surf with a Safari snorkel remove the head and look down the tube. There should be nothing there. If you have a large washer in there restricting air flow you need to remove it.

Many guys here have discovered the ***** installers have put this in when the instructions clearly state not to on a Diesel. Those that have removed it have reported better fuel economy, power and most importantly the engine is running cooler.

Go have a look (if you didn't do the job yourself) and make sure this washer is not in there.

This is only known to be a Safari snokel issue at present.
    Pete. R.
    93 SSRG
    1KZ-TE
    Canberra
    Australia
    [IMG]http://au.geocities.com/maverick_asraam/pictures_files/100_3790.jpg[/IMG]

I have just fitted a Safari Snorkel to my KZN185 Surf, which fitted perfectly. I was interested to read what you said about the large washer in the top of the snorkel as there is no mention of this in the instructions. So I had a look on the internet & it is stated that the washer is used to reduce the noise commonly found with Hilux's. Orginally there used to be some sort of foam filter but when Turbo's became more popular they found that this was no good so they now fit this large washer which does the trick. I e-mailed Safari Automotive in Australia & they confirmed also that the washer is to be fitted to Turbo Diesel engines & is there purly to reduce noise. I did however read on another Surf website that some Safari snorkel models come with some sort of valve & this valve is for petrol models only & should be remove for diesel models. Maybe this is were the confusion came from between the washer & valve??????
    Regards Lewis

Comment

When I fitted mine there was a large washer in the kit which is designed to fit under the angled head. However the instructions said that it was not to be used with diesels - seemed fairly clear to me. Maybe the problem is that garages think they know what they're doing and don't rtfm
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

probably people like me that don't read the instructions... just look at the picture if i get stuck!!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

You are getting me worried now Roger. I don't now whether to leave the large washer under the angled head or not now!!!! With the washer in place this would restrict the air flow more than without of course but surly the air flow would still be greater than the stock air intake???? The last thing I want is to damage my Surf Please can you tell me what model of snorkel you fitted. Many Thanks Regards Lewis.

Comment

roger has a 2nd gen, so it may be different.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Whip the head of your snorkel and see if there is anything down
              there. If it's only for quietening purposes, you don't need it. Good
              airflow is preferable to neighbour pacification.

Comment

Originally posted by lclascaris
                Please can you tell me what model of snorkel you fitted. Many Thanks Regards Lewis.
                It's a 106HF fitted to a 2.4. I shouldn't think you'll do any damage but like MattF says, who cares about quiet?
                Roger

Comment

i'll have to have a look at mine now.

have any of you guys noticed that your snorkel makes a vibrating noise sometimes, mine does it now and again when accelerating or traveling on the motorway at 70.

i dont know if its the bracket at the top that is vibrating against the bodywork.

cheers scotty

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                    i'll have to have a look at mine now.

have any of you guys noticed that your snorkel makes a vibrating noise sometimes, mine does it now and again when accelerating or traveling on the motorway at 70.

i dont know if its the bracket at the top that is vibrating against the bodywork.

cheers scotty
                    It might be something to do with the fixing to the bodywork. I seem to remember it is a bit mickey mouse and I threw the supplied bits away and put some decent rivnuts and stainless screws up there.
                    Roger

Comment

Working...
                    X